Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK..got me a ZG..now I need help in figuring out how to get Dakota to calm down when I'm brushing him..he goes wild..I can't even hold him. Is there a special trick to this..I don't want to start a bad habit..any advice would be welcome. We have tried brushing him with other groom tools..same results..fight fight fight.
Thanks... Jackie

·
Registered
692 Posts
How do you brush him?
Standing up, sitting down?
What position are you both currently in?

First I would suggest putting him on a leash if he is not already on one.
Next I would suggest brushing him while standing for a while. If you are sitting on the ground expecting him to come and lay in your lap you may be expecting too much from him right now.

If you are already leashing him and standing to groom him we can come up with different advice for you.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Can you enlist the assistance of another human? Put the dog on a leash and have him stand facing the person who is holding the leash. Have that person hold a treat. Each time you successfully do a couple of brush strokes, have your assistant give a bit of treat. Use the treat to distract the Dakota if he starts to give you a hard time.

Brush outside, b/c otherwise your house will be full of hair!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started alone..by holding his collar..this developed into a twisting turning wrestling match. SU came home..I held his collar and SU brushed..which was a bit better..but he still went to the floor and twisted and turned. I will try holding a leash and treat..while SU brushes him..and reward when he stands still.
He doesn't seem to have much hair coming out..I DO brush in the direction of his hair right..not against the grain of the hair????
Thank you... Jackie

Page said:
How do you brush him?
Standing up, sitting down?
What position are you both currently in?

First I would suggest putting him on a leash if he is not already on one.
Next I would suggest brushing him while standing for a while. If you are sitting on the ground expecting him to come and lay in your lap you may be expecting too much from him right now.

If you are already leashing him and standing to groom him we can come up with different advice for you.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes..and we will try what you suggested. I was just anxious to try the ZG out. I'm sure we'll overcome his..dislike of this procedure. I didn't get much hair out..I guess because he's still young..just under 6 months old.
Thanks for your advice... Jackie

Momma to J and A said:
Can you enlist the assistance of another human? Put the dog on a leash and have him stand facing the person who is holding the leash. Have that person hold a treat. Each time you successfully do a couple of brush strokes, have your assistant give a bit of treat. Use the treat to distract the Dakota if he starts to give you a hard time.

Brush outside, b/c otherwise your house will be full of hair!

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Jackie, Aidan used to think the ZG was a toy, to be attacked and played with lol

I just started getting him when he was tired out, making him lie down and just brushing him to get him used to it.

He now allows me to brush him without going crazy and butt tucking all over.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I think Dakota feels..that it's a toy...and I guess..he needs to be trained to accept it. I will try when he is tired, that sounds like a good idea too. We'll get'r done, eventually. Thanks for responding to my question. We shall persevere. LOL
Jackie

WeHeartLabs said:
Jackie, Aidan used to think the ZG was a toy, to be attacked and played with lol

I just started getting him when he was tired out, making him lie down and just brushing him to get him used to it.

He now allows me to brush him without going crazy and butt tucking all over.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
JackieN said:
That's what I think Dakota feels..that it's a toy
This was our problem at first, too. It is made out of a similar (or the same) material as some of their chew toys, and they got excited.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
My beloved Bess liked being brushed and would placidly stand for brushing for hours if necessary.

My beloved Puff is the opposite and wiggles and squirms and tries to avoid it. The best way for us is for me to sit down with Puff in front of me, hook one arm under her belly just in front of her hind legs and lift up slightly, and then brush with the other hand until she wiggles away.

Bess shed tons.

Fortunately, Puff shed less than a tenth what Bess did. But it's still a lot of dog hair.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Zoe is on leash.. I step on the leash. Treats in pocket.
One brush; treat
Another brush; treat
Two brushes; treat
etc.

She had a lot of treats (but this was early on, and has since lost the weight)

now we can happy z/g w/o treats.

good luck

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Henery is a complete wiggle-worm when it comes to being brushed. He definitely prefers the ZoomGroom over his slicker brush, but just tolerates either. I can do about 5 or 6 strokes of the ZG, then a treat. Then a few more strokes, treat. etc. etc. I cut up baby carrots for his brushings.

DEFINITELY do it outside though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts