Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was not noticeable; no smell, no "oogies" that I could see.
But when she went for her physical, the vet showed me (via otoscope) that something was happening way down in her ear canal. (black oogies)

she's on drops. I wanted to do purple stuff, but we'll try the Otomax he prescribed.

My question....do you guys have an otoscope for your dogs? I just ordered one. I really want to catch an ear infection before it gets full blown.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Oogies!! LOL!

Linda, what does it look like down the otoscope?? Black gungies? Does the canal get really red and swollen??

No otoscope here... though I'd love to have a stethescope to listen to Henery's heartbeat!!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
henrysmom said:
Oogies!! LOL!

Linda, what does it look like down the otoscope?? Black gungies? Does the canal get really red and swollen??

No otoscope here... though I'd love to have a stethescope to listen to Henery's heartbeat!!
Felicia, it's a long canal into the ear and I could see little black oogie balls way at the bottom. No redness or swelling, just black gunk.. Once in a while, the gunk would surface to her outer ear, so I'd just clean w/q-tips. We looked at her right ear and it was really clean, no oogs in there.

I wonder if her ear infection just started because there was no smell. (I smell her ears every night.)

Anyhows, I thought an otoscope would be a good thing. My sister's dog always has ear issues, and I wish to catch Zoe's before it gets bad.

(if I had a stethoscope, I wouldn't know what to listen for...please educate me) Thanks

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I'm sure you already know this but I have to say :)

Always be sure to clean the otoscope attachment before putting it into her other ear! That's a good way to transfer those oogies from the bad to the good. Using a q-tip or gauze with alcohol on it works best for us.

Sounds like you have a cool vet too - and that Zoe was a very good girl to let that thing stay in her ear so long!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
zoesmom said:
It was not noticeable; no smell, no "oogies" that I could see.
But when she went for her physical, the vet showed me (via otoscope) that something was happening way down in her ear canal. (black oogies)

she's on drops. I wanted to do purple stuff, but we'll try the Otomax he prescribed.

My question....do you guys have an otoscope for your dogs? I just ordered one. I really want to catch an ear infection before it gets full blown.
I never thought of the otoscope! I work in an ENT office, so I suppose I could bring one home anytime and look at Rhys and Ruby's oogies!

On a side note, I used to work for an OB, but he retired :( but on a :) note, he gave me his fetal doppler, which I am using every night on Ruby now, so that when she has widdles in her belly I can listen without freaking her out...and I can try to guess how many! :)

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yellojakesmom said:
I'm sure you already know this but I have to say :)

Always be sure to clean the otoscope attachment before putting it into her other ear! That's a good way to transfer those oogies from the bad to the good. Using a q-tip or gauze with alcohol on it works best for us.

Sounds like you have a cool vet too - and that Zoe was a very good girl to let that thing stay in her ear so long!
Actually I didn't know... so thanks for the tip!!

(yes, Zoe is pretty good about being "checked" we started this check-check thing since she was 8 weeks old...)

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
No problem :)

The people I work with think I have a clean ear fetish, since whenever we have a dog or cat sedated I'm in there with the otoscope, ear cleanser and cotton - it's just such a handy tool, enjoy yours!

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I didn't think about getting a doggie one. I just went to Walgreens and bought a human otoscope for under $10 and it works fine. Cinnamon had a series of yeast infections when I switched her food as a pup to Nutro. I know a lot of dogs here eat it with no problem but it didn't agree with her.

Now what I wouldn't be without is a bottle of Zymox (order on line). My cousin who is a vet in VT sent me 2 bottles when Cinnamon's ear infection kept coming back. Told me it cleared up about 2/3 of the chronic ear problems in her practice. It is an enzyme that eats the gunk. I smell Cinnamon's ears each night and check them visually every few days if I smell a yeasty smell or see brown/black gunk (that isn't dirt as she loves to dig) I put Zymox in for 3 days. No problems since.

Hope Zoe's ears clear up. Otomax didn't work on hers it took an oral drug and another ear drop per the vet. I think it was because I took her off the food.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm so jealous of Zoe's good beahviour. Chuckle really hates having his ears touched. I hope it all clears up quickly!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts