Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And she said he is underweight by about 5 lbs for his height! :eek: He is 4 months old and weighs 30.6 lbs! In the past month he has put on 10 lbs! :eek: She said he is going to be a very BIG boy, maybe about 150 lbs. Oh my! Other than that he is healthy and happy!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Holy crap, and I think Champ is huge at 107 pounds! 150 POUNDS?!?!? :eek: I sure hope she's wrong.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly - a 150# Lab is called a Bull Mastiff. They should never get that large/heavy.
I agree our last lab was 63 lbs so I am in shock at the thought of 150lbs. He will be 4 months on saturday and looks like an 6 to 8 month old lab. He is very tall (although I haven't messured him)

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
WOWZERS! That is a big estimate!!

I hope for your sake he doesn't prove the vet right. :)

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I agree our last lab was 63 lbs so I am in shock at the thought of 150lbs. He will be 4 months on saturday and looks like an 6 to 8 month old lab. He is very tall (although I haven't messured him)
Oh, I believe you - but if he is that tall he should probably be pushing 60# by now.

Blaise is 5 months old now, is not exceptionally tall - and is 50#. I think (and the vet also believes) he'll get to 90-95 lbs - which means he will be 10-15 lbs heavier than my proper weight VERY tall chocolate.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Isn't the rule of thumb/guesstimate is to double their weight at 4 - 5 months? How big were his parents?

I know newfoundlanders that don't weigh 150 lbs... think your vet is a bit off.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
150 lb labrador!!!

:eek: :eek:

I hope for your sake your vet is way wrong! I don't know any labrador who weighs in at much more than 100 lbs. A dog that size is more like a Bernese Mountain Dog (minus the hair of course).

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Keeping Ziggy lean will be much better for his joints, especially if he is long-legged. You don't want a big, heavy body on spindly legs. Champ is tall at 26", and leggy, but the vet said we should get his weight down to about 100 pounds and keep him there.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I don't think 30 lbs at 4 months seems terribly oversized. Seems like Teddy was about that size and he is only about 75-80 lbs now and a bit chunky at that.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Terri, methinks your vet is waaaaaaaaaaaaay off. He probably just looks really tall right now because he's entering the lanky, dork stage. How big were his parents?

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dad is 110 Lbs and mom is apx 90 lbs. When the vet called today with test results I asked again and she said "No not 150 but at least 100 to 110 lbs" I think she was trying to get me to get used to the idea that he's going to be/is a big boy! His feet still look way to big for his body but, he is still just a baby so... I don't think he is underweight right now but the vet thinks he is so I guess we will increase the food but not as much as she wants. I really don't want a fat pup! I think the vet feels that I compare Ziggy to Koko (I guess I do) and Koko was a tiny (the vet called her a mini lab) little thing, almost 60 lbs full grown.

Sorry if I pissed some people off I was just repeating what I was told yesterday, I was a bit shocked by it and was looking for...I guess support.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I could probably dig out my growth chart for Toby (yes, I'm a huge dork, I measured, weighed, and kept track on a spreadsheet!). I honestly don't remember how big he was at that age. But he turned out to be enormous, WAY out of standard. He's 29" at the shoulder and 120 pounds, lean, and yes, 100% lab. Maybe not properly bred, but all lab. His father went about 90 pounds and his mother 70 - 75, so how he ended up as oversized as he is is anyone's guess. If your vet is thinking 100+, she may be right.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Yikes - 150? I hope she's wrong. Our dane didn't even weigh that much, and that's the biggest dog we've owned so I can't imagine.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Sorry if I pissed some people off I was just repeating what I was told yesterday, I was a bit shocked by it and was looking for...I guess support.
I don't think anyone was at all pissed off. I just think your vet is smoking her sox.

What are you feeding him and how much?

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I know I've posted this before, but if I had a dime for everyone (including the vet) who told me that Baloo was going to be "so huge!" "At LEAST 100 pounds!" etc when he was about 2-4 months old, I'd be rich. :D

He has really big feet, we call them his snowshoes. But he's now 2 and 70 pounds, and could lose maybe 4-5 pounds, so needless to say, they were all wrong. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts