Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gahhhh.... We've had the same garbage can in the same place since we got Zeus 2 years ago. Well a few weeks ago they got excited when I pulled up and knocked it over and he got into it. The next day I came home and he had his head in the can. He figured out how to open it. I was actually surprised it took him that long because he uses his nose to get into other things but still. So I got a different type of can and moved it where it wasn't going to get knocked over. He still go into it. So we put the kitchen chairs in front of it to block it. He moved them out of the way and got into it. :mad: Finally I remembered I had an old food container for them (big rubermaid one that has a snap close) so for now I'm using it. It's clear though so I don't like being able to see the trash (even though it's in a bag). I don't have any cabinets it would fit into though where he can't get into it. Any ideas how to teach him to stay out of it while we're at work? I could crate him but I prefer not to and he does it when we're home too the little sneak.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I don't know how your house is set up, but when Sam gets in the "I'm mad at Mommy for leaving me" mood, I put the trash can ontop of the washing machine.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I had my dad make me one...Its a big wooden thing (it looks nice though), its so heavy when I pick it up to shake the rugs, I nearly get a hernia....The top piece is superheavy too...It stopped my golden when he was alive, and he was a determined bugger...

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Does he have run of the house? When we go out because alfie is shut in the kitchen i put the bin in the dining room

·
Registered
830 Posts
Mine has been up on a chair since Oakley was old enough to reach the top of it.
It is one of the chairs that goes with my deck table and chairs so I don't really miss it.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I have to say once they figure out a food source when you are out you have to change things up pretty drastically to keep em out of it ...
our garbage goes out into the garage here which my husband has trouble with - he usually just puts his crap on top of the microwave and I toss it all

at our old house it was latched into a cupboard ..

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
They aren't cheap, but the Simply Human trash cans have worked well for us and our son with his Lab. They can't nose it open.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks he is a determined bugger but I don't think he can get into this one so I guess we'll just stick with it for now. Maybe I'll look into having dad make me a wood one or look for one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts