Just Labradors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And he seems to be doing better. I tweaked and re-evaluated some methods etc and I think I have finally found something that works. He's outside right now (my mom is cooking supper :p) barking because he wants to "play" more. He was very upset to stop ;D

ETA: Oh, it might make more sense if I explained that I switched him to 99.9% positive training. Corrections, even impartial ones, make him unsure of himself and so he quits. For example, he broke heel at a rally match to go pounce on a scottish deerhound. I grabbed his collar kind of quicklybecause I was afraid he'd get into trouble. About 2 sec later when I released him, he left the ring because he'd been "corrected."

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
It's tough to find that fine line for each dog. Murray has never liked (maybe "like" is the wrong word but it's late and I can't think of a better one) physical corrections (leash pops, grabbing the collar or sticking my leg out to correct a front, etc) that's why I started training with an ecollar. It made a world of difference in his attitude because he never associated the nicks with me whereas the other forms of correction were definitely coming from me which crushed him.

It's also a good plan to leave 'em wanting more. ;D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts