Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached are the latest pictures I have of Ranger. They were taken on the May 12th.

Out of his litter, he's the only one to grow into mismarks.

I had to see him and spend time playing with him, just to be sure; especially since I hadn't seen him since he was 1 week old and well his whole personality then was...snore...snore... ;D

Well, after about a minute, I was sure! ;D

His charm and personality won me over. He was playful and we clicked immediately. He licked me, crawled into my lap. He ran, he played and chased. He chomped his food, he pooped and slept!

But, as you know from previous posts, I needed to eliminate my shallow and beauty is only fur deep concerns.

So, I decided to play with a litter mate we previously met - this one with traditional fur.

I tried, but it just wasn't there. Absolutely no click at all whatsoever. Sure, the puppy was gorgeous. Just beautiful. He'll be very handsome growing up...but, not in my home. This guy just didn't have *it*.

Soon, you'll recognize me as the one walking through the pet store answering all the crazy questions, which I hope you will all help me come up with good answers for, because people can be horse's hooves.

Questions like: What kind of dog is that? Are you sure he's [fill in the blank]? And, then there's the nasty little hanger, "I've never seen a [fill in the blank] like that!" You have to add in the snotty tone on the last one to really make it work, lol ;)

So, that's it in a pretty large nutshell.

Any idea on how I can find owners of other mismarks on the board?

Thanks so much! I really appreciated everyones support when I became so concerned.

I thought I Ordered a Big Mac :-\, I mean Big Nap, LOL ;D

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I'm so glad Ranger has won your heart! He certainly is a cutie!
As for the crazy questions...you won't be alone. They are quite a few people on the board who have purebreds that are also asked what kind of dog they have ;)

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Ranger is cute! It's interesting seeing the tan markings on a chocolate. My Bella is almost certainly a rottie/lab/maybe_something_else? mix and not a mismarked lab, so I don't have any advice on how to respond to people other than just being proud, honest, and thick-skinned. People can be idiots, so when they are, just remember that it's their problem, not yours!

Enjoy your beautiful boy. He sounds like he'll be a real joy!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Get this... i have a lab MIX and I have to constantly tell people NO he is a mix NOT a mismarked purebred lab! lol....crazy I know! So you may just have less questions then you think.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Ok..I'm in the dark here..what is a mismark??? He IS adorable..no matter what..I'd just like to know what that means.
Good Luck with him.....................Jackie :)

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I don't have the url handy but if you Google Blue Knight Labradors, she's got a bunch of mismarks photographed on her site. They come in all colors!!!! I personally love the "camo" labs (yellow/black).

I think you've found yourself a real cutie, personally! -Anne

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ranger is absolutely adorable! ;D

Madison is my 7 month old yellow lab.... and I've had a few people, even our VET, ask...."what is she". Sometimes you just want to be a real smart you-know-what and respond... "a dog" ;) ;D For us though, it's usually because she has a little longer, but narrow snout that what everyone thinks a lab should have. I found picts of the field labs on woodhavenlabs.com and they so resemble Madison! Also, my girl is lighter yellow with white on all 4 paws, the tip of her tail and down her chin. She also has yellow spots on her paws where the white is. I know at least one of her litter mates (there were 6 yellow, 2 blacks), one of the black pups that was showing signs of brindling when they were all 7 1/2 weeks old. I just think it makes Madison more adorable. ;D Attached is a pict of her from the side, don't know how well her white paws will show up. And yes, she's a purebred, as far as we know. We still have her AKC paperwork to do something with.

G

·
Is he really coming home in 10 days? That would make him less than 6 weeks old? That is far too young. I have to say that I hate when breeders dump them off at 6 weeks old - just when the pups are more work for them. It's so irresponsible. Many states have laws that don't allow sales until 8 weeks. Those 2 weeks from 6 - 8 weeks are so important to spend with their littermates and at their first home.

As far as the comments of "What kind of dog is that?" and "Are you sure he is a purebred?" I get those all the time with my big black male from champion lines. Not many have seen a correct show type Labrador. At first I used to get a little upset, then annoyed, and now it doesn't bother me. I just smile and say "He's a Labrador" and that's that.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Sammi has one white toe on her back paw, and a milk toast chin, I love it! Gives her character and I know I can always pick her out of a line up ;)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Apollopuppy, thank you so much for that link! My childhood dog was a stray whom we adopted, and until Toby came along, I never thought I could love another dog the same way. She was black & tan, and we always figured she was mixed with something, but she wasn't pointy like a Doberman, and not as square as a Rottweiler, and her ears were not sized like a **** dog. We've always wondered..... I didn't even know mismarks existed!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Your welcome. To be fair, somone actually showed that link to me and I was just passing it on. I had no idea about mismarked labs until people started to ask me if apollo was one. I was like "what's a mismarked lab?" Well apollo is NOT a mismarked lab, but now that I see what mismarked labs look like I guess I can understand why people would think he is one.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I may be biased but mismarked or not, how could you not love a dog named Ranger?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts