Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the hospitial early this evening really expecting the worse. When I got in ICU, Mom was sitting up eating dinner, feeding herself. I was so relieved. She said she is feeling better, less foggy in the head. She's still somewhat foggy, but so much improved from yesterday and this morning. I see some hope at the end of the tunnel.

I will ask them about UTI tomorrow though as she suffers from them alot regardless of surgery. Also, she's had a lot of diarrehea and the nurse was concerned, but I told the nurse mom has diarrehea a lot because she's missing 8 inches of her colon. The nurse didn't realize that. If she is still having the diarrehea in the morning I'm going to ask them to give her immodium. That always clears it up and her GI doctor has told her to take it when her bowels flare up.

Thank you again all so much. I feel truly blessed to have this forum and all of you here :)

Her heart is still beating strong and at a normal rhythm. I did find out too that the anti-rection meds they give can cause confusion.

She is not on any meds currently, only Saline solution to keep her hydrated and some lasix to help her body flush out the toxins. No pain meds. She's not had any pain. Amazing! If they had cracked my chest open I'd be moaning and groaning, I'm sure. But the nurse told me older patients rarely have pain with open heart surgery. Go figure.

Oh, just to answer a question, Mom was on a heart lung machine for the surgery, and on a respirator for about 12 hours after surgery.

Here is a pic of mom just last week, she went out with me as I took photo's at Magnolia Gardens. Just thought you'd like to see my mom ;)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
That is good news, Linda.

Between the Lasix and the diarrhea, she probably is dehydrated. For some reason, it affects older people's brains a lot more than it does a younger person. The way Dad's doctor explained it, the brain is mostly water and when they dehydrate, the brain basically shrivels and they lose sense of 'when' it is and where they are. Hopefully, now that she is eating, they can get the diarrhea under control and she can take in more fluids by mouth. Still praying! :)

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Excellent news :) Hang in there Mom!

She looks amazing! Im so glad she is feeling more like herself. That must have been so scary.

Keeping the prayers going though...

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
I'm so glad to hear Anne is doing better. Maybe she'll be even better tomorrow. I sure hope so. Tell her I said hi.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Still keeping you and your mom close in prayer ............... Glad to hear she has improved some.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I am so glad to hear that your Mom is improving. Thanks for posting that picture of her. Sending continued good thoughts for her speedy and complete recovery.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Glad to hear there has been improvement. Will keep sending good thoughts as well. Can't see much of your Mum from that photo but from what I can see there looks like a close resemblance between you two..

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a couple more pics of mom the evening before her surgery. She wanted to go out to the beach. She does look a lot like me, or I guess technically I look a lot like her ;)

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I am so glad your mom is improving. She is a beautiful woman. Yes....you do look like her. She will be ini my prayers for a good recovery.

I bet once she is moved from ICU you will see more improvement. :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Am glad that you see some improvement. I went through the same thing with my dad in December - he went in an active, vibrant, alert and intellegent man and woke up after surgery confused, aggitated, uncooperative, and mean. They blamed the anesthesia (he had a spinal, don't think so), alcholol withdrawal (yes, he had a drink every night but again don't think that was the problem), pain medication (they stopped it with no change), etc. I flew down immediately and spent 5 very ugly days trying to reorient him, calm him and educate the staff that this was not the man that had been admitted for a hip replacement. We still don't know for sure what the cause was. It is scary, frustrating and just plan maddening when this happens, but it happens alot after surgery in the "older" adult. With time it generally clears, as you are seeing with your mom. You are doing the right thing by being alert to changes, telling the staff what her norms are and how she reacts to things, and by being there for her. I suspect that you will see gradual improvement every day. For us it was a long road and took literally a couple months for his mind to clear - the good news is that he doesn't remember any of it and has never complained of pain at the surgical site! Hang in there and we all will keep up the good thoughts for a speedy recovery!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts