Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man Jager is smart for a yearling, What seemed to take my deceased Cocker Spaniel (Buddy) forever to learn obedience/trick wise, Jager has surpassed, I'm teaching him to shake his yes when he is asked if he wants something, pretty neat! guess eventually I'll teach him no also, that would be funny (I think). Anyway, one of my favorite tricks is to throw sliced up hot dogs or Bologna into a relatively deep vat of water and watch him submerge his whole head picking them out, if you have never tried this with your lab, u should, very funny stuff! I was wondering what y'all do with your Labs in the trick department that make's you laugh your....butt's off.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
ERnie loves to swim underwater.
He doesn't have many tricks as he is still being trained and that takes time.

Kassa had many tricks. Bow,
Shake hands, salute, dance to Elvis, say please and thank you.
Find things.
Got my slippers. If I was late home they would be at the door. Then she put my shoes and bag away.
Picked up her own toys at night.
She taught herself to pull back our bed covers at night.
She got the phone when it rang
When i had a soak in the tub she would pull the plug when the timer went off. (I have epilespy and I put the timer on about the time I might go to sleep) .
list goes on.
she loved to work and do things.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Puff has a few -- when I say "go get your Teddy" she picks up her Teddy bear and brings it along.

When I point to a towel and say "get that" she brings it so I can dry her off.

What I probably enjoy best is when I'm talking to someone on the phone and ask Puff to say "hello" to them that she responds to the command: "Puff, speak!"

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple of others 2 mention, Speak, and the good ole "who do u ruff?" of course followed by Jager saying "ruff!" My favorite is the snap command, Jager is at the sit position and quickly snaps his muzzle 5 or 6 times repeatedly.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really, my step daughter (19) rides equestrian out in Suffolk, I know Little, nothing 2 brag about...she's the expert. I used the term cause Jager is as big as one if you get my meaning, wait..I must muck his stall lol

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Favorite trick would be letting us sleep past 6:15 in the morning - unfortunately they seem unable / unwilling to learn that one!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah...the alarmclocklab, mine to, it is convienient for me though, I have 2 be at work by 7:00am, must suck if your retired !

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Not retired - but they don't get the concept of weekends or vacation days either! Oh, well, always nice to wake up to someone happy!

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
I just remebered one useful thing I taught Kassa. Now. Couldn't think of another word.

Come NOW!!!!! with arm signal as well. I taught all her commands with hand signals. I taught her this so if I saw something harmful about to happen she would respond instantly. No second thoughts. Panic. NOW!!!. Down NOW!! meant exactly that. Stop mid track and down.

Once day I was at the library and my arm got tangled in the lead and her collar slipped off. She darted to the kerb of a main road. Panic down. She lay down immediately.
On another occassion a threatening dog came into the park. I could see, but silly girl was so friendly. I used the panic command and she was at my side for me to hook her lead on. Another dog was savagely bitten.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
kassabella said:
I just remebered one useful thing I taught Kassa. Now. Couldn't think of another word.

Come NOW!!!!! with arm signal as well. I taught all her commands with hand signals. I taught her this so if I saw something harmful about to happen she would respond instantly. No second thoughts. Panic. NOW!!!. Down NOW!! meant exactly that. Stop mid track and down.

Once day I was at the library and my arm got tangled in the lead and her collar slipped off. She darted to the kerb of a main road. Panic down. She lay down immediately.
On another occassion a threatening dog came into the park. I could see, but silly girl was so friendly. I used the panic command and she was at my side for me to hook her lead on. Another dog was savagely bitten.
I have heard of panic commands (or "emergency" commands) - but how do you teach those? as opposed to a normal "sit" and that they know there is a difference?

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I don't know if it is my favorite trick but I think 'close the door' is pretty cute. If we ever have guests around it never fails to wow them.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Tanya said:
kassabella said:

I have heard of panic commands (or "emergency" commands) - but how do you teach those? as opposed to a normal "sit" and that they know there is a difference?
I am no trainer so please don't follow me. Trainers will tell you the best way.
But here is what I did.
Once she knew the sit, down, stop and come commands I started doing it quickly. On the spot down now.
I would call her to me then before she got to me say down NOW with a really forceful hand signal that I use for down. No matter where she stopped I gave her an extra special treat. I kept doing this and emphasising the word NOW. Kass caught on quickly and better if food was involved.
the arm signals I used for come now were different to the come signal.

Soulmist. You said funny things. I have taken this subject off your original thread. I am sorry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts