Just Labradors banner

Young black lab turning white

15K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  seesh 
#1 ·
I have a 7 year old female balck lab, who over the past 3 years has started goin white. At this point, her whole muzzle is white as well as the fur between her toes and most of her belly. Why so white so youg?

#3 ·
I think that is relatively normal for the timeframe and age. I have a 6 year old male who is getting a grey chin and has since he was 4. My 9.5 has got LOTS of white hairs.
Some "lines" of Labs grey sooner than that and even more. I can already see signs of it on my 4 year old yellow. Harder to see, but it is there.

#7 ·
That's about normal. Don't forget, 1 dogs year is approximately equivalent to 7 human years depending on the breed so your girl is about 49 in human years.

My boy started going white in the same places as yours around that age (see my siggy pic) & he lived until he was 14. I've also had Pugs that started going grey around 4 or 5. It's just part of them growing old unfortunately. :(

#13 ·
Yes, we were told it could very well be vitiligo. Which they say is genetic. We had blood work done and she is AOK. Still is happy as a clam(if clams are happy)?😳😊. The point I am making with this is vitiligo is supposedly very rare in dogs. I called the Breeder up and asked him if he ever had heard or had seen this before and he said no. I sent pictures. My niece is a Vet tech and she had never heard of it before. So I think it could have something to do with the tick and flea Meds!? Any other thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.