Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been invited to a beach themed party for our friend's 40th.

Invitation says wear your favorite beach clothes...bring beach chair and favorite beach food.

Burgers, hot dogs and beer will be provided.

Okay we are in NH and it is freezing cold. No way in hell I would wear a swimsuit to a party or shorts for that matter, I get way too cold and no one wants to see my pale 40 year old legs anyway.
What can I wear that is beachy?....crap. I don't do the theme things very well, hate costume parties, but I don't want to be a total dud.
ideas? The only thing I have so far is a big straw beach bag for the BYOB wine and glasses and big white sunglasses and flip-flops..

also...need beach food ideas. Something portable and easy to serve and share with a big group. This party as at a hall, not at someone's home so there won't be access to kitchen, place to plate, etc.

Don't have any idea on amount of people invited.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
My friend in Brighton MA has a beach party every February. We usually wear shorts under sweats and tuck the sweats into our coat sleeves after we arrive at the party. Way too cold for us to do otherwise.

I think the hat, sunglasses and flip flops should be fine!! I'll bet you and Jim will have a lot of fun Molly. You can always bring a beach bag with some stuff in it. A beach towl to throw over your shoulder or something. Brightly colored or tropical shirts... Clam diggers...
Bring a snack in a childs beach pail.

Ooh! I have a dessert recipe that goes into a beach pail. It's kind of like the dirt that people serve in a flower pot, but it's like sand in a beach pail. you use a little plastic shovel to serve. Very cute!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Do you make good deviled eggs? That is one of my usuals for our marina parties. Inexpensive, easy to make and always a hit. A pasta salad in a bright colored plastic bowl. You could probably find a bowl at a dollar store. Halls tend to be chilly. Maybe wear shorts and summer top over spandex type workout clothes. Sunglasses, a summer cap or a flower in your hair and some big babbles for jewelry. Sounds like fun.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Sounds fun, Mols. :happy: I'd probably hit the tanning booth, throw on a pair of capris, a skinny tank top with a larger hawaiian shirt over it, and my flip flops. Finish the ensemble with your groovy sunglasses and some tanning lotion. Jim could wear zinc on his nose. (boys can do things like that. ;))

How about bringing guacamole? Guac always reminds me of summertime...

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Oh fun!! when is this party?

what all said about flip flops, sunglasses, etc.
I have a cool Hawaiian shirt that I'm willing to send for you to borrow.
here's Zoe modeling it...I love this shirt..not too tacky

Rubba Slippas rule....let me know your size if you want one.

A dish to share: ceviche
take it in a cooler full of ice.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
pbc said:
...Maybe wear shorts and summer top over spandex type workout clothes...
Just what I was going to suggest. Only food suggestion I can come up with is potato salad. More of a picnic thing thana a beach party one, tho.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
My suggestion would be hawaiian shirt and shorts over sweats, or even long underwear (yes, my fashion sense is stunning). I would bring some sort of summer-y salad, potato, rice and veggie, etc.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got some great ideas. ...mmmmmm guacomole!

thank you.

thanks for the offer on the sending the shirt to borrow, Linda. Likely won't be here in time though.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Well, you could alwasy be me - long sleeved light colored light weigh shirt and pants...allergy to the sun. Then bring something totally fattening but delish - like frozen lemon ice made with lemoncello....yum!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
mollyrock said:
ooh, can I have the recipe for the sand pail dessert?
Hi Molly, I hope this isn't being posted too late.

2 8 oz. pkg cream cheese softened cut into 6-8 chunks each
3 c cold milk
2 3.5 oz. pkg instant cheesecake flavored pudding mix (or vanilla or lemon)
1 20 oz. pkg vanilla sandwich cookies (like Oreos but vanilla) or graham crackers ( I like graham to cut the sweetness a bit)
2 lg cans cherry pie filling (or other flavor of your choice) Can also use fresh sliced strawberries, but I like the cherry pie stuff.

Need:
8-10" plastic beach pail (look at party or toy stores) with small shovel
Shell shaped candy and/or mini umbrella to decorate top

Coarsely crush grahams/cookies reserving about 3/4 to 1 cup which should be finely crushed to resemble sand (easy to fine crush in food processor)
Put the milk in a blender, add pudding mix. Blend to mix. Add cream cheese chunks a few at a time (you may not need them all), blending after each addition. Mixture will thicken quickly and may slow the blender down a bit so you'll want to keep a steady pace.

Put a thin layer of coarse crumbs in bottom of pail, add a layer of pudding mixture, add a layer of pie filling. Kind of eyeball this as to how much you want for each layer and repeat layers to fill pail making sure top layer is the fine crumbs.

Cover with plastic wrap and chill to set at least two hours. Overnight is fine. Before serving, add shells/umbrella or other beach motif decor and serve with plastic shovel.

Once you start serving, it looks kind of messy, but it still tastes good!

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks Laura for the recipe. That sounds really good.

I am bailing on the party tomorrow. I have allergeric conjunctivitis in both my eyes. I look awful and my eyes are so sensitive right now.

I am just going to rest this weekend in hopes my eyes clear up.

So much for the summer party worries.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Well that's a bummer on many levels!!

Do you have some kind of medication for that? I'm sorry you're not well and hope you are feeling better very soon!

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
using a homeopathic eye drop, washing my eyelids with baby shampoo, using cool compresses, zyrtec and not wearing eye makeup unless I am at work. I think cleaning out a really dusty closet at the library triggered it.

yeah, it's a bummer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts