Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so thrilled to report that Shamrock finished his Standard Excellent A Preferred Title on Friday. I was beginning to think it might not happen. Shamrock will be ten in June and I have promised to stop competing in AKC Agility trials when he reaches that milestone birthday. He is in great health and I want to keep him that way for many years to come and not risk an injury. We were close in JWW too but handler error - I pulled him off a jump so a refusal. We have been having so much trouble with weaves lately - our last four trials Shamrock just would not weave and I was worried he might be injured in some way. In practice sessions he was fine with the weaves so I was keeping my fingers crossed that he would be OK in this trial. Friday his weaves were fantastic - just the way I know I he can do them. In the Standard course weaves were 2nd last, after a chute and then a 90 degree turn. I said "Shamrock go weave" and he did!! Then a double jump and we were done. It was not an easy course and I was not really expecting that we would do it as well as we did. Entrance was the tire and then the dog walk with a tunnel entrance/exit exactly next to the dog walk. Tunnels usually suck Shamrock in but Friday he was to the dog walk without even a look at the tunnel. Good start!! I tried to take it one thing at a time and then hurray -we were done and Q'd. My goal this year was to have fun and try for those last excellent legs that we needed and now only one JWW leg to go!!!

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Awesome job. Congratulations. I'm glad he's able to still run and make the course times.

Ruger just can't do it in AKC anymore, courses are longer and times are shorter and he is slower :(

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Congratulations Betsy! That is fantastic!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Congratulations to you both!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I have been reliving our run all weekend long. Linda - you are so right about the course times. I'm in Preferred so we get an extra 5 seconds but when we are really on, we usually just make "regular" Standard course time. If we have one mistake in JWW we are out of luck that's for sure. I use running contacts with Shamrock because it might give us an extra second or two and his contacts are solid. The course we Q'd on Friday was a 65 second course so 70 for Preferred and our time was 64.44 so we just made "regular" time but we had the extra 5 seconds that we didn't need this time. I'm not very fast so that doesn't help either. Recon, my young dog, is very fast so we'll see what happens when we start competing. Shamrock is a gem to show because he really knows what to do and as long as his weaves are good, we have a chance to Q provided that his handler is paying attention. LOL!!! B

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Betsy, your entire post is Ruger, exactly! We cannot make an error or we don't make time. And usually he's just too slow anyway. I do run him in preferred. But for now he's retired from AKC agility. I'll probably still do some CPE with him because it's less stressful and he enjoys it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Linda - What height do you run in CPE for Ruger? I'm thinking of 16" for Shamrock and maybe Enthusiast. I'm having a hard time figuring out all the CPE details and the games other than Colors. Just too much detail to grasp. I'm hoping that when I see Jackpot and Snooker run it will make more sense. Standard and Jumpers I hope are about the same definition as in AKC. I thought for my 1st trial I'd only do those two classes. I know I cannot do 5 classes with two different dogs two days in a row so I will have to pick and choose. I am looking forward to the more relaxed atmosphere. B

1 - 11 of 11 Posts