Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting ready to get another puppy. We currently have a chocolate & yellow lab both males. The puppies which we are thinking about were born yesterday & they had all three colors. The yellows are almost white in color. The mom is also white in color. We have decided to get a female, but we can't decide on a white or black girl? Any thoughts or suggestions?:)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
it would be tempting to get a black just so that you have all 3 colors. But otherwise, if color doesn't matter, I would have the breeder pick the one that best suits the family after they are old enough.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
it would be tempting to get a black just so that you have all 3 colors. But otherwise, if color doesn't matter, I would have the breeder pick the one that best suits the family after they are old enough.
I agree!

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
My personal preference is black, and it would give you one of each color. ;)

Seriously, though, if the yellow was a better fit personality wise, I would go with her.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input. We have been leaning towards the Black Female. How old are they when they start to show there personalities?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I am not a breeder but have read in several books and on different breeder web sites that at around 6 weeks they can start to evaluate the puppies for temperment and personality. I agree that you should let the breeder help match you up with the best puppy to blend with your family. That doesn't mean we can't keep our fingers crossed that she turns out to be black!;)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
now having said i agree that you should let the breeder pic for you if you want black and there is a choice of black or yellow available to you request black. With Cinder I was lucky, it was an all black litter.
If I were looking to for another pet Lab I would probably be looking only for black and woud wait for one if I had to. But in some cases if the breeder has two color (or three) in a litter that often means they may not have the color your requesting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts