Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was back at the Surgeon's yesterday. X-rays and pulled the pin out of the little finger. Now I know why the heel of my hand hurt sometimes. The pin was inserted at the 1st knuckle and was almost 4" long. Came out real easy.

Can't bend it much before it hurts, but after being on class 2 narcotics for almost 4 weeks I was told to stop using them unless needed. Been clean for 1 day now. Pain is manageable w/ Tylenol. But that does not count therapy. Looks like I can drive starting Monday. I have trouble getting enough pressure on the seat belt release to get unbuckled.

My Occupational Terrorists are special people. One made a point to be there with me when the pin was pulled and discussed therapy goals with the surgeon. Very upbeat, caring people.

I have lots of exercises to do. The surgeon said therapy would last a long time but did not define the term "long". I cannot turn my left hand palm up. It is difficult to grasp and hold objects in my left hand. I cannot fully straighten my left arm. My right hand does not make a fist. My hand writing has improved a lot. I really have to concentrate and do it slowly. Typing is a chore. My right hand gets tired and the heal of my hand hurts after a while. I have no idea when I will be able to use a hammer or other power tools. I am hoping I will some day.

I have prayed my thanks I got out with so little damage. I could have been crushed and killed or paralyzed at worst. My little finger still has feeling in it and none of the blood vessels or nerves were damaged. The surgeon was able to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. I may need one more surgery. It depends on how my therapy goes. I do get tired easy. For the last week I have been a little dizzy and nauseated all the time. Today I did OK this morning though I am a bit tired.

So for now. Exercises and therapy and one day at a time.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Andy, one of my docs at the college recently had hand surgery. Not quite the same place as yours, but one of the PT exercises he was given is actually kind of fun. They gave him scads of 6"x6" sheets of bubble wrap (larger bubbles) to work on. Burst each bubble with the bad hand to gently build up some strength. Ask your Terrorist about that one. :)

Did they give you one of those gooey balls of plastic (or whatever they're made of) to ply? That's another good one.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did they give you one of those gooey balls of plastic (or whatever they're made of) to ply? .
Not yet. There is still a lot of pain in the little finger. Buy other people get to use it. I just have to wait. They have a sign posted : No Whining.

I am shocked and disappointed how little strength I have in either hand. It is painful to lift even a 14 oz can of green beans w/ the left hand or even grasp it. Unbuckling a seat beat is a test of will. And I tire quickly.

I have a long way to go.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
((((Andy)))) Continued prayers and good thoughts that the rehab goes faster and better than expected and you are back to normal very soon.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Glad you are starting to heal and improve. I would expect your PT to be for many months, but is worth every penny of it. I know people who quit PT and said they will do the exercises at home and of course don't and then don't have the full range of motion they could have had. My PT after rotator cuff surgery was 5 1/2 months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts