Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between my two boys, they've been in speech therapy for 7 long years. Twice a week. Jake was dismissed last year. Brandon ended up having a tied tongue that was somehow missed for years by us, the speech therapist (3 over this time), his ENT, and his pediatricians, which he had surgery to correct last year. I do believe I asked for advice on that here since the therapist wanted to try to teach him to speak properly with the tied tongue. He couldn't even stick his tongue out of his mouth so we opted for surgery. That was last August. No one other than people around him all the time could understand a word he said prior to this, and he was 6.

I just had a phone meeting with her, and he has met all but 5 of his goals. She expects him to be out of speech therapy by the end of this semester (mid-May). YAY. He is doing SO much better. I really hate we didn't catch his tied tongue and have it fixed earlier. It may have saved him a lot of aggravation (trying to tell others what he was saying and not understand why they couldn't understand him) and therapy. :(

I love their therapist, and I'll be sad to see her go, but at the same time, I'm so happy for him!

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
That's great news. My parents didn't catch that I couldn't see for years and my mom still feels badly about it. No longterm damage though, unless you count the fact that every once in awhile I'll tease her about it just to rub it in. You might want to be prepared for that as he gets older. :)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's great news. My parents didn't catch that I couldn't see for years and my mom still feels badly about it. No longterm damage though, unless you count the fact that every once in awhile I'll tease her about it just to rub it in. You might want to be prepared for that as he gets older. :)
Oh, I have MORE than enough stories to hit him back with! lol He's my umm..."It's time to stop having kids" child. :p Love him to death, but he definitely makes life interesting! ;)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
That is awesome news, Gail! :) YAY!!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Great news!!

Don't feel bad about missing the tied tongue. My friend's son had surgery for it and he was 12 or 13.

My son was in speech starting very early and I think it was a huge blessing. I think it helps with reading tremendously. He went into kindergarten reading....and I didn't teach him. He just picked it up from learning all the letters and sounds so early.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great news!!

Don't feel bad about missing the tied tongue. My friend's son had surgery for it and he was 12 or 13.

My son was in speech starting very early and I think it was a huge blessing. I think it helps with reading tremendously. He went into kindergarten reading....and I didn't teach him. He just picked it up from learning all the letters and sounds so early.
Hmm...I never thought about that. Jake and Brandon have both been in speech since they were two. Jake is reading pretty much anything now in second grade (his grade level maxes out at 5th grade books but he's reading higher than that at home - he's reading Lord of the Rings right now, and it's an 1100 page book) and Brandon is reading 6th-7th grade books in first grade. Speech probably helped them with that too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts