Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I signed Abbey up for a beginning agility class a while ago which started tonight. I have been waiting forever for a class that fits our schedule!!

It was awesome. There are only a few dogs in the class, so it's a lot of attention and time spent on each dog, which I like. The smallest dog we have is probably the Whippet, but she's only a couple of pounds smaller than Abbey, believe it or not! :eek: There's also a Golden/Lab mix, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, a Golden/Australian Shepherd mix, and maybe one or two more that I'm not remembering.

Abbey was her usual goofball self for the first part of class and was a complete wiggle worm, trying to go see everyone and all the dogs and whining when I wouldn't let her.. ;) She's the oldest dog in the class (not even 2yrs) but she acted like one of the youngest at first..! Eeek.

We started off teaching them to "touch" a target, then used that in combination with low jumps, table, tire and tunnel. Abbey did good with everything but she got kind of freaked out about the tunnel. After a few times, she was alright.

Then we worked on telling them to sit/stay, walk away and then direct them towards the obstacle. This is where I saw Abbey's previous training. All of the other dogs were not listening and kept running away.. Abbey did it perfect right off the bat. :D

I'm about to go look up how to make all of my own stuff so we can practice at home, too!! :)

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Awesome! So glad you had fun :) Ge read for the addiction to set in! I bought some stuff from affordableagility.com - they usually have some pretty good sales.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Justine,
That is so cool! And, you must have been so proud of Abbey!
I've never heard, where/how did you get Abbey? You mentioned her prior training.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Justine, where you going to class at?

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Justine, where you going to class at?
Well I was trying to get Abbey in with the CCCC (Capital City Canine Club), but they haven't offered the beginning agility class at all in the past few months that I've been looking, so I got her in at Good Dog Training, which is run by Janet Smith. Nicole (from this board) recommended her. :)

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I was wondering if it was through Capital City. I love those guys!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
And another one bites the dust. :cool:

Welcome to the crazy-addicting world of dog sports!! LOL! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts