Just Labradors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While my kids were supposedly supervising and I was driving home from work - my 4 month old puppy Blaise chewed up a CD and the case it came in. Most of the CD and the case is still intact and I found some of the pieces from both in the garbage (following DS's cleanup) but there are certainly some pieces missing.

To feed this little goat or not? Is it better to put something in there with the sharp bits of plastic I think he swallowed or not? Would rice be OK?

Thoughts? He is not in distress (beyond his astonishment that Diesel ate and he did not) but I am concerned about what might happen as the sharp bits travel down the tract. I know lots of dogs eat entire remote controls and do fine - I just would like a best choice here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I would get a lot of bread in there asap :)

If it makes you feel any better, Simon recently ate a CD, and he is fine.

I hate when part of the evidence gets thrown away! Kevin used to clean up too, but now he knows to arrange what he has found on a paper towel until I get home. LOL

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bread is a great idea. Thanks!

Yes - picking through the garbage was not much fun after a 2 hours drive home.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Maybe a call to the vet could help. But when a co-worker's dog ate a glass Christmas ornament they were told to give a few cotton balls soaked in milk. They have to be true cotton. I guess any tiny sharp shards stick to the cotton balls. Not sure it would work with plastic. I hope he is okay. Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Yes, cotton balls in milk is a good idea too!

If you call the vet, they will tell you to watch for 48 hours. Believe me - I've made this call MANY times. :p You are watching for refusal of food and/or water, decreased energy, and especially watch those stools! Projectile vomiting = get to the vet quickly.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I gave him 2 big slices of bread which he gobbled down. I know it will swell so I don't want to load up any more. He seems fine ATM. I'll have my 19 yo son with him all day tomorrow so he can observe and call me if he starts any of the behaviors you describe.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
oh wow; puppyhood....zoe ate a bunch of stuff and 6 years later is sleeping at my feet. they can scare the heck out of ya. one day i came home and she had chewed off the top of a fire extinguisher and set it off.

blaise will more than likely be okay, but it still makes ya worry! good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He seems fine today. He is eating and drinking fine - no pottying problems and is playing as normal with Diesel. Darn dogs! He had me really worried last night.

Thank you all for your support and good advice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts