Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found a job opening at a vet clinic for a part-time receptionist and they are looking for someone available for about 15 hours/week, which would be perfect for me with my school load.

On the page, it said no calls about the job, but it's in a part of town that I'm not too familiar with and Google maps kind of confused me because there are a lot of one-way streets.

So I called and asked for directions... The girl told me "Oh yeah, you can take this road and then turn here. What are you coming in for? To pick up food or something?" And I replied that I was coming in fill out an application and the girl replies "Oh well it said no calls." And I replied that I was just confused about the one-way roads and she said "Well I can't help you" and hung up on me...! :eek: :confused:

I understood the no calls things, but I really wasn't calling about anything job-related.. just for some directions. Now I'm not so sure I want to even apply somewhere where they treat people like that! :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd apply anyway. People like that are everywhere, and if you let them stop you from doing things, you wouldn't even leave the house in the morning. The girl you spoke with on the phone is most likely not the person interviewing you, nor would she have any supervisory authority over you, so her behavior is not an accurate indication of how employees are treated there.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Agree with the above. She could be someone on the way out or a new hire with poor phone skills. I agree it is rude, but that does not mean the whole practice is filled with social underachievers.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I'd apply. Maybe they're trying to replace the girl you spoke to. Maybe she was given strict orders not to speak to anyone on the phone regarding the ad, and she went a little overboard. Who knows. Try not to let that first impression be your only (and last) impression of the place.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I'd apply!! If you still can't figure out how to get there ring back and ask again! :)
Or go here & get the directions:

http://www.mapquest.com/directions

If it were me, I wouldn't bother. You have to ask yourself if she's just 1 bad example, what are the rest of them like? :confused:

Classic case of: You never get a second chance to make a good first impression.

IMO, she blew it both for herself & her employer. I wonder how many clients or potential clients she's chased away? :confused:

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
If it were me, I wouldn't bother. You have to ask yourself if she's just 1 bad example, what are the rest of them like? :confused:
I think that's a crap attitude Garth.

IMO, she blew it both for herself & her employer. I wonder how many clients or potential clients she's chased away? :confused:
I think she has put herself in a bad light as a first impression but if Justine is wanting to work there I dont think it should put her off. If she were a customer she may not have had the same conversation!

And I do think that people should be given a second chance after an inital bad first impression. If you or they have a bad day, or there is a language barrier etc.... many many times my first impression has been changed after having an open enough mind to understand the situation better.

So no - do not agree with you at all with any of your statement. That directions website looks great though!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Or go here & get the directions:

http://www.mapquest.com/directions

Maybe thats exactly what she is trying to do! Not only would I apply but I would make sure the application gets to the right person- not her! I would also make a call to the manager, letting them know what she is doing. Wonder if they are even aware, they should be but if the clinic is busy its easy for folks to get away with stuff like this!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I was also going to suggest Mapquest. I think Mapquest will make allowance for one-way streets and, if you print out their directions, they'll tak you there okay.

I also agree with the others' suggestion to apply BUT please evaluate the attitude of the bosses and coworkers to see if such a rude, brusque attitude is just hers or is more widely typical of bosses and coworkers.

Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.