1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18937826/

Never mind man biting dog ...
Artist eats Corgi to protest British royals’ fox hunt; Yoko Ono also tastes it

LONDON - A British artist has eaten chunks of a Corgi dog, the breed favored by Queen Elizabeth II, live on radio to protest against the royal family's treatment of animals.

Mark McGowan, 37, said he ate "about three bites" of the dog meat, cooked with apples, onions and seasoning, to highlight what he called Prince Philip's mistreatment of a fox during a hunt by the Queen's husband in January.

"It was pretty disgusting," McGowan said of the meal, which he ate while appearing on a London radio station on Tuesday. Yoko Ono, another guest on the show, also tried the meat.

"I've never tasted anything like it — it was grey and had a very funny smell. It was horrible," McGowan told Reuters.

Queen favors Corgis
McGowan said he was angry that the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, of which the royal family is a patron, had not prosecuted Prince Philip for hunting and killing the fox. The RSPCA said the fox did not suffer.

Corgis are the favored dogs of the queen, who has owned more than 30 of them during her reign.

The dog died of natural causes at a Corgi breeder and was prepared and cooked by others for McGowan.

McGowan is well known for his outlandish performance stunts. He ate a swan in another protest against the queen. Swans are protected by the monarchy.

He's against the treatment of foxes, so he eats a dog? ??? I don't understand the logic of such extreme views...I think they are mentally off, personally. So, is he against the Queen's family's treatment of foxes, or is he just against the Queen's family?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
A$$hole.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Hummm...I guess I'm the only one who doesn't have a problem with this.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
dweck said:
Momma to J and A said:
Hummm...I guess I'm the only one who doesn't have a problem with this.
Really?!?!? With eating a Corgi in protest??

Oh, Jenn. You can't mean that.....
Yeah, I do mean it.

I'll back out of the post quietly.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Yeah, I do mean it.

I'll back out of the post quietly.
No Jenn, don't back out. I'm curious?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
G'day,

If its the bloke I think it is, he's always been a few beers short of a six-pack (In fact I doubt he had any beers in the six-pack to start with :p ) but this's gotta be one of the really stupid things, in my opinion, that he's done.
Far as I'm concerned, no matter which side you chose on this one, assuming you've got one that you'll go with, eating a dead Corgi goes a bit beyond anythng normal and sane.

Cheers,

Pottsie

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Now I want to know why you think it was ok Jenn. I seen him on the news taking a bite..he looked as if he was going to hurl!! stupid SOB!

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
The animal died of natural causes so it wasn't cruelty to animals I guess, but I just don't get the relevance. How does one affect the other? What does eating a corgi have to do with fox hunting? The Queen likes Corgis so I'll eat one? That'll show her! ???????? And what "breeder" would say "Here, eat mine. It died already so I don't need it." ?????? Sounds like an idiot to me.

J

·
0 Posts
Its not like he killed the dog in order to eat it. It was already dead. He wanted to get the media attention about cruelty to animals, and he got it, no matter how gross it is.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I missed, during my initial read, that the dog had died otherwise. So it's not cruel, IMHO. But an apt protest? Too over the top IMHO. :-X :-X :-X

But he sure did get media attention, which was probably the point anyways.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
If his protest were to be relevant to fox hunting, wouldn't he have been better off to eat a Beagle? Sorry Nance, and all of the other Beagle lovers out there (myself included). :-\ Sounds like the guy is completely idiotic.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought the whole point of animal rights was because animals aren't respected the way they should be. Correct me if I'm wrong about that. But then how is EATING an animal respectful? It's a complete double standard.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
That story made my stomach turn... :-X

1 - 20 of 23 Posts