Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,114 Posts
If the whole point is to make sure that children are safe then I don't see the problem with this story. I don't know what circumstances made the father do this but he went to a lot of trouble to bring the kid to a place where he'd be safe. I think we should encourage that, whether it's an infant or a three year old.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,955 Posts
Here in Indiana there is a Safe Haven law (I think that's what it's called.) A newborn can be dropped off inside a hospital, police station or fire station and the parent will face no charges. It's to try to stop all the babies found in dumpsters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,636 Posts
Melissa said:
Here in Indiana there is a Safe Haven law (I think that's what it's called.) A newborn can be dropped off inside a hospital, police station or fire station and the parent will face no charges. It's to try to stop all the babies found in dumpsters.
We have something like that in Missouri. They still find babies in dumpsters :-\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's sad that there are so many unwanted babies/children
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,326 Posts
zoesmom said:
it's sad that there are so many unwanted babies/children
Yes and that people take having a child for granted, like that. There are so many people who would give anything to have a baby and can't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,130 Posts
It's the same in Michigan. If these people would just choose adoption from the begining it would save a lot of trouble and be giving a gift to someone who can't have a child.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,379 Posts
I have never heard of such a thing. How sad, but hopefully the child will be given a good home. I didn't know that children were found in dumpsters in the US.
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
We have that in South Dakota. Its called the Baby Moses Law. If you cant care for a infant you can bring it to any city or state government office, firestation, police station or hospital. Simply hand them your kid and leave. You wont be asked any questions, dont have to give them your name, and you wont be charged with any criminal activity. I think that is really cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,130 Posts
hifive said:
I have never heard of such a thing. How sad, but hopefully the child will be given a good home. I didn't know that children were found in dumpsters in the US.
Unfortunately it happens all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,961 Posts
Golfgirlrobin said:
If the whole point is to make sure that children are safe then I don't see the problem with this story. I don't know what circumstances made the father do this but he went to a lot of trouble to bring the kid to a place where he'd be safe. I think we should encourage that, whether it's an infant or a three year old.
I totally agree with your statement here. Children are at the mercy of their parents... and there are already too many parents physically and mentally abusing. There are plenty of parents looking to adopt. I say... YEH... there needs to be more of these available. Yes, it may be traumatizing to a child, but what they may experience in a home where they are not wanted is even worse... and too often, fatal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,052 Posts
Golfgirlrobin said:
If the whole point is to make sure that children are safe then I don't see the problem with this story. I don't know what circumstances made the father do this but he went to a lot of trouble to bring the kid to a place where he'd be safe. I think we should encourage that, whether it's an infant or a three year old.
I'm afraid I have to agree with this. We don't know that the father misunderstood the age limit on the box. He may have been trying to do the very best thing he felt he could do for his son.
I personally think the Moses Law should extend to any child of any age that a parent can't adequately care for or is afraid of abusing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,287 Posts
Melissa said:
Here in Indiana there is a Safe Haven law (I think that's what it's called.) A newborn can be dropped off inside a hospital, police station or fire station and the parent will face no charges. It's to try to stop all the babies found in dumpsters.
We have that here in NJ too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,832 Posts
We have a law here in Pennsylvania that if a newborn is dropped off at a hospital the mother will not be prosecuted. There have been several babies murdered & left in dumpsters, basements & one was found in the mother's closet (under her school books :'( ) They did this so young uwed mother's who feel there are nooptions, can drop their newborns off & not get in trouble. That is the best thing, they have an option, instead of panicking & killing the baby.

It is so sad, with people waiting to adopt a child & these babies are being killed. So senseless.

But related to the article....3 years old is beyond the newborn age. So sad, isn't it. :'(
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top