Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night we watched The Last House on the Left. I love me a good, scary movie, but I wasn't prepared for this one. I was almost in tears. What bothered me most was the scene where the couple's 16 year old daughter and her friend were abducted by murderers who were on the lam. The scene where the tortured & stabbed one was so hard to watch, but the brutal rape of the other was just too much. why show that whole thing? I mean, it was so graphic. Why not just imply it? I just wanted to pick her up and hold her and make it go away. I was so upset by that.

I am usually the one standing up for artistic expression, but this bothered me so much. Perhaps because I have 2 daughters, I empathized on the level of being a protective momma-bear, I cannot IMAGINE that happening to my child. But I empathized on the level of being a girl too... what a horrible thing to have to go through.

That scene really tainted my appreciation for what would have otherwise been a really good, scary movie.

Some war movies have bothered me in this way too, because these things do happen, and they aren't just the imagination of the writer, like monsters & such. These horrors are very real.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I wouldn't have been able to watch that either. Like you said, they could have implied it without being so graphic.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I saw the original many years ago and have heard this remake was just as bad, but in a different way (ie the disembowelment scene), but was also just as graphic. I don't think I'll see the remake.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I will not watch that movie, ever. I cannot watch scary or disturbing movies. The TRAILERS for these movies stay with me for far too long. The last scary movie I watched from start to finish was Blair Witch... the first one. And even THAT freaked me out, lol. Maybe because I grew up in the country surrounded by forests? Heck, even shows like Cold Case and Criminal Minds reeeeeeally bother me!

One thing I try to do if I am watching a disturbing scene is try to visualize the film set around the scene. Make it not real, ya know?

Yes, I know I am a wuss!

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
i wanted to see it(and did), but didn't realize how graphic it would be.

jo, i love scary movies, but to this day i can't sleep in a house near a cornfield. lol.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I can't even watch some TV shows anymore - not just the "scary/slasher" shows either. While I realize that brutal things happen to people, I think that movies and TV shows take it too far - and it's mostly horrible things happening to women. We don't need to be watching this stuff on TV

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Ooo, I forgot this was coming out soon. Definitely on my 'to watch' list - nobody loves a scary movie more than I do!

I am so glad I read your review though. I cannot watch a rape scene. There is absolutely NO REASON for a movie to be so graphic with it. It pisses me off actually. :mad: True story or not (is this?), imply it, don't show it.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I'm sure there's some sociological reasoning behind it -- suspect it was in answer to the emerging Women's Lib movement -- but early '70s movies were rampant with violence toward women. Especially rape. "Straw Dogs" is another example.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
What's the cornfield reference, I assume Children of the Corn? Or it could be Jeepers Creepers, that had one scary-ass cornfield scene!! :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts