Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I about died. It's almost $500.00! We used double the kw/hr this past month. I knew we were, but it was freaking cold out for two solid weeks. Our heat pump ran on "emergency" heat (which is pure electric) almost all that time, and I also had to run my pool pump 24/7 to keep the pipes from freezing.

Good Lord, everything is so expensive anymore...

Hoping we don't have anymore cold weather like that.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Your "power" bill... is that just your electrics?!?

Mine (elec) was $39.42 before the Arctic snap. Will probably see a $60-ish bill for that period. The gas bill will be closer to + $100. Pre-Arctic snap the gas bill was $63.00.

:eek:

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We don't have gas. We are all electric. If it were just me I'd bundle up and turn the heat way down, but mom can't stand the cold and I don't want her to be sick. We have to keep the house at about 72 degrees for her to be comfortable in the winter. When it was in the 20's here, my heat pump just ran and ran and ran.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
When my utility bill comes I slowly pull up the corner of the address window and peek inside. If I look at the correct angle I can see the first two digits of the invoice.

I don't have many fears except for that.

$500.00 would send me oveer the edge since I supplement my heat with wood and wood pellets. $250.00 is the norm for winter.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Wow! We have an all electric house up here in Ohio and our bill in the winter is usually around 250.00. I usually keep the house at 69 degrees in the winter, but this year I've been keeping it at 67 and we don't really seem to mind it. We also have a geo-thermal heat pump which helps. We have a 2 story CapeCod style house thats 15 years old, but was well insulated, etc when we built it. I know this must be hitting you particularly hard this year.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
So, running to pool heater to keep the pipes from freezing, tells me you must be somewhere it doesn't typically get below freezing very oftem. I would suspect that insulation in your homes is pretty much non-existent. Homebuilders tend to build to the environment, and save where they can.

I was concerned about heating cost when we moved to MN, 30+ years ago. First winter our heating bills were about 30% of what we paid in NJ, and the winter was colder and longer. Investigation showed me two things. Homes are insulated a lot bettter here than NJ, and the power companies are regulated tighter. Our gas and electric cost is about 25% less per unit than it was in NJ.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how to pay my last $800 propane delivery....

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
What about a space heater for your Mom? Dialing back the heat at night. Slippers actually make a pretty big difference. A housecoat? A thermal blanket for the pool?

My parents just bought an electric fireplace for their basement.

Hope it warms up for you soon..........

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Ours was $188 - about $50 higher than normal. We didn't even run our heat much in January. I'm terrified to see what February's bill will be like. We should get it next week. :( After reading your post, I told Jason not to plan on spending our state taxes that we filed this week, because it'd probably all go towards our electric bill. :p

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have electric heat as well. My bill in the winter is between $400 and $500 but that is for TWO months not one!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
This is one of the reasons I've decided to install solar...One thing I notice, and I thank the solar survey guy for saying this, is to completely shut off my furnace and connect everything to power bars to shut off when I go to work. I'm only gone 8 hours, and its not long enough to freeze my pipes. I've also got a new fridge, stove and washing machine...all energy efficient. Right now in Ontario if you buy anything energy efficient you get a substantial rebate from the gov't...

In the past two months doing this, I've saved almost $1100. Unbelievable. I'll continue doing this with the solar energy, so I don't use capacity.

I just switch the heat on when I come home (until I get a programable) and take the dogs for a walk, by the time I'm back...HEAT.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
What about a space heater for your Mom? Dialing back the heat at night. Slippers actually make a pretty big difference. A housecoat?
A Snuggie! :D

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Our bill was about $20 higher than normal. We are all electric but we have a propane fireplace that we ran, too. Still less than $200. I don't think we've ever had an e-bill above $200.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts