·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20090401/D979QD400.html

After 72 years, TV's `Guiding Light' switching off

Email this Story

Apr 1, 1:38 PM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - The soap opera "Guiding Light" is switching off after a 72-year run that predates television.

CBS says the show will have its final episode in September. Like most daytime dramas, "Guiding Light" has suffered from declining ratings and CBS is looking for a lower-cost alternative to the hour of programming.

The Guinness Book of World Records has cited it as the longest-running television drama.

It began as a 15-minute serial on NBC Radio in January 1937 and debuted on CBS television in 1952, focusing on the Bauer family of Springfield.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
i haven't watched it in years, but i can't believe it's going off the air. glad my grandma is not here to see this. no matter where she had to go, she had to be home in time to see her "shows" and that was one of them.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Our family friend was the voice that said "This is the Guiding Light" or something like that for years, probably up until about 6 years ago.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
OMG -- Eileen will be devastated. She ADORES/D that show.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
She, too, watched it w/her gramma. Back in the day when there was a LITTLE Alan Michael.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
OH wow. I used to watch it way back when!

The guy who played Alan Michael for a long time and the girl who played Cassie, I think, are both on GH now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts