Just Labradors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were standing outside the garage tonight talking, with the 2 dogs at our sides of course. Emilu leaped out into the yard and picked up a little stick and was playing with it. She ran up to us with it and broke it in two. The next time I looked at her, she had her nose down to the ground and was pawing frantically at her face. It took me a second to realize what she was doing, and then I said " I think she's got a stick stuck in her mouth!" I got her to settle a little and pried her mouth open, but didn't see anything. Then she started pawing frantically again. I thought I saw blood in her mouth and we were getting her settled again for a better look when the stick popped out! It was only about 2 inches long and about 1/2 inch thick. Few several minutes after that, and even after she got back in the house, she kept licking her her legs and front feet. I think it was just nervousness, or else maybe she scraped her feet on her teeth while trying to paw the stick out. Always watch your babies! It was a good lesson for SU, because he doesn't tend to watch over them as closely as I do.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I'm glad she's okay. I've already had a long talk with my kids about puppies and sticks (and dogs and sticks for that matter) and they've been preparing the yard making sure it is as stick-free as possible for our new puppy (which we haven't chosen a breeder for yet, thus the new puppy isn't coming too soon ... but at least they're prepared!)

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I am so glad to hear that Emilu is okay. The same thing happened to Reggie, he was chewing on a stick and it broke and wedged inside the roof of his mouth.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Glad she's okay! That happened to Jake when he was a puppy at the dog park - it's really scary.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Sticks scare the bejeezus out of me, Pat. Ever since Buddy and Monnie had their incident several years ago.

I am so glad you were there when it happened. Now, go give Emilu (and her big brother!) some lovin' from me.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I'm glad you were right there to see it. Bruno had a stick wedged across the roof of his mouth twice. I didn't hear about Buddy's stick incident, but it is scarry what happened to Asha. Labs are so attracted to sticks, and sticks and twigs are everywhere; I can't imagine how one could prevent such an incident.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Glad to hear she is okay, and from now on Daisy is not to be in the backyard without being watched, how scarey!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Glad she's ok. Sticks make me nervous after reading about the incidents here with Buddy and Asha and the others.

It's really too bad because I was hoping to have CJ help with spring yard cleaning. The ice storms and heavy snow have left the back yard covered in twigs and branches. I'm sure he would enjoy gathering them up much more than I will.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the thing that I was most worried about was what if it choked her and she couldn't breathe? I don't know what you could do if one got lodged deeper in their throats. We live in 70 acres of woods - there's no way I can "pick up all the sticks". I'll just keep my fingers crossed and be vigilent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.