Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way to the DIY store this afternoon, Mark was driving and I was gazing out of the window, relieved to have finished work for the next week, when I saw a young man having what I automatically thought to be an epileptic fit/seizure on the side of the road.

I screeched, that guy's fitting and Mark straight away pulled over, I ran to where the guy was and saw that his lips were turning blue, slightly panicked I took my mobile phone out and began to dial 999 when thank God an ambulance came by which I was able to flag down.

The ambulance crew were soon tending to him and assured me he was going to be fine so I quietly slipped away.

Once I got back in our car it dawned on me that nobody else came to that man's aid, it was on the side of a busy main road and plenty were slowing down and staring but no-one stopped. I'm not medically trained but there was no way I was not going to try and help, it wasn't like it was quiet, dark and he could have been luring me into a trap.

I hope that God forbid, I ever need the help of the general public, someone has the time, courage and decency to stop and help.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I wouldn't even have thought twice about it, I'd stop.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I always stop. It's a conditioned response. When you mother's an RN and you see her offer help in all kinds of wacky situations (on a plane, where a guy had a heart attack; at the pool; in an elevator; at the supermarket), it kinda becomes part of your fabric that you're the type who offers a hand to someone having a medical issue.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I'd stop. A couple of months ago we were driving along a two lane road in the middle of nowhere and there was an ancient lady using a walker walking along the road. You couldn't even see a house anywhere close. I made Chris turn around so we could go back and ask her if she was alright. Turned out she lived like a mile away and was just out for the exercise. She had a phone to call her son if she got too tired.

If we hadn't gone back, I'd have always thought about it and wondered if she was alright. But plenty of cars went by without a second thought.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I would have helped. I'm the dumbass that stopped, by myself, to help a guy who'd run out of gas. Luckily he didn't turn out to be an ax murderer, but as soon as I stopped I thought 'wow, this was a really stupid thing to do.'

So if I stop for a random, healthy guy out of gas, I'm sure I would stop for a medical emergency.

I clearly remember being very nearly 9 months pregnant, in the heat of the summer, and running out of gas on a busy roadway in broad daylight. Not a single person stopped to help me. I clearly looked like the afore-mentioned ax murderer apparently. I had to call a friend and stand on the side of the road and wait for them to show up.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
as soon as I stopped I thought 'wow, this was a really stupid thing to do.' .
The full bore of what I've done never really hits me until afterward.

I remember outside a local pizza place a few winters ago watching an elderly woman slip on the ice and SLAM her noggin on the cement. I was pulling the van around and tossed the door open, telling Eileen to call 911, and went to her. Got a dishtowel from the pizzaria. Held it on her head, which was gushing. Etc. Etc.

It wasn't until she was bundled away in the ambulance that I looked at my hands and clothing and though: Holy Sh!t. I've got a total stranger's blood all over me.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
i would have stopped. if for some reason i didn't think it was safe i would have at least called 911. i always carry my phone.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I would like to think that I would stop as well and at least call 911. We went a couple of times by fires and called 911 (when it was in an industrial complex - and they had already been called and trucks were on the way) and the other time it was just people burning their junk. But both times we made sure it was dealt with.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I always stop. It's a conditioned response. When you mother's an RN and you see her offer help in all kinds of wacky situations (on a plane, where a guy had a heart attack; at the pool; in an elevator; at the supermarket), it kinda becomes part of your fabric that you're the type who offers a hand to someone having a medical issue.
Yep, it's sometimes how you were raised, I remember about 45 years ago my Dad stopping on a lonely 2 lane highway when there was a small fire under a semi, I remember him coming back to the car after a fire extengisher put it out and it re-it. He grapped a pair of vise-grips out of the glove-box and got far enough under it to pinch off the fuel line that fed the fire. Then when the driver hit it again, it stayed out.

Fire trucks got there about 15 minutes later.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Most of you know what I do for work, so yep no questions asked I would stop! I always kid DH when were on vacation- "If we see a car wreck don't stop, I'm on vacation" The truth is I couldn't "not" stop- I have a pretty complete first aid kit with me at all times! My Dad was a medic, I remember stopping many times when growing up!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts