Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I charge $20.00/day for board and train dogs. The dogs are in my home, on the couch (if allowed), fed whatever the client wants, trained for whatever the client wants, essentailly treated as though they were one of my dogs. Up to this point I have never charged extra for me going to pick up or deliver the dog (most are somewhat local, within 20 miles). 90% of the time I pick-up or deliver whenever the client wants (within a few hours, depending on my work schedule). My question is would you pay extra for this service? One of the reasons I ask is that one client (Concho's owner, the silver lab I get on occaision) has a VERY steep curvy driveway that in the winter 90% of the time I can not drive up and have to walk with the dog (about 1/4 mile...sometimes with food in hand). Otherwise I get stuck or slip off the driveway. I kind of think I should be charging extra for pick-up and delivery. If they come to my house, they can come just about anytime they want, so long as I am home. (One client feels free to come even as late as 11:00 PM! To be honest I do not mind that).

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
IMO your rate is fabulous. I guess it depends on what the average costs are in your area, but around here you absolutely could charge for pick-up and delivery. I would consider that a real luxury!

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMO your rate is fabulous. I guess it depends on what the average costs are in your area, but around here you absolutely could charge for pick-up and delivery. I would consider that a real luxury!
Even regular board dogs at most local places (kept in a cemet kennel run and given 5-10 min of outdoor time twice a day) are typically $15.00/day. Here dogs typically get five to six 15-30 minute free runs (if they are ecollar trained and come when called...usually what they are here for (ecollar come when called type training). Otherwise they drag a long line and are always with other dogs that DO come when called)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I would pay an extra fee for pick-up/drop off. It definitely is a luxury! And if I had to be driving (trying to drive) up steep, icy driveways, there would be an extra charge for sure.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I think you are speaking to Doggy daycare more than boarding.
Minneapolis area
6:00 am to 6:00 pm, drop off and pick up anythime in that window. - $35
Open area, indoor or outdoor, maybe 30 ft by 60 ft, for play. dogs will get 1-3 hours in the am and same in the pm.
Pick up late 6-9 pm, additional $20 charge. After 9 pm, do not bother, the place is locked. You will pay an additional $35 unscheduled boarding charge.

Pick up and delivery service: Only a few offer it. Less than 5 miles - $5 each way. 5-10 miles $10 each way. >10 miles NO.

For your example, 1//4 mile walk at yor risk to pick up and drop off dog. I would tell the owner that the driveway has to be clear and driveable or the owner brings the dog to your car. If you have to fake, a fall one time and tell the owner that is it, the dog has to be brought to the car.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks folks!

Ed, if that is doggie day care, it is more than twice what the daycare I work at charges (we charge $15.00. Drop off anytime after 700 am and pick up before 6:00 pm). Boarding there is done on a limited basis, and only for dogs that do day care with us.

Most of my board/train dogs (at my house) live within 10-15 miles. When I worked at the University, I did not mind pick-up and delivery as it was within 5 miles of where I worked...now it is in the opposite direction from where I work. I have been tempted to raise the daily board and train to $25.00/day...my board and trains also go to doggie day care with me

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I would charge extra, by the mile plus risk factors. I'd also charge a penalty to pick-ups and drop-offs outside of specific hours. Set it as a policy and you can always make individual exceptions as you see fit.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Yes, it sounds like you are being too nice Karen. :) I agree with above, make a policy and then modify it if you want.

I think $20 a day sounds really great too, for what the dogs are getting.

Most dog daycares here are $25-$30, but that's not with any training.

Just for comparison, my dog sitter charges $18 a visit. She comes by for 30-45 minutes and plays fetch with both boys, makes sure they potty, and works with them on anything I want (she's an agility instructor).

Just thought maybe the ratio of those two figures might help you figure yours, based on local prices and the services you are providing. :)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
This one is just trying to be helpful, and maybe bring you into a business frame of mind.

You ae charging $15/day for daycare. For here, that is a good deal for your customers. Maybe what you need to do to have some customer as an small independent. So be it.

Average disatnce to pick up is 10-15 miles. Lets use 12.5 miles. Round trip in the morning is 25 miles, probably around a gallon of gas and in excess of a half hour. Same in the afternoon, 2 gallons of gas and a full hour.

Gas at $2.75, it costs you $5.50, plus an hour of your time, and wear and tear on your car. That $15.00 you were making is now $9.50 after you subtract the gas. and you gave them another hour of your time. Does your vehicle get 25 mpg?

If you use the govt mileage cost numbers, I think somewhere around 50 cents per mile, your daily cost (50 miles for two round trips) is $25. Wait, that is more than what you charge per day. You are losing money. It is time to stop pickup and delivery.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Your rates are way too low, I think. I would up the daily rate and also charge separately for any delivery services you provide. If you have old clients you dont want to raise rates on, handle them individually but for sure charge more!
The service you provide is so worth it.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Wow...you really need to set some boundaries. Home is home and business is business. I think your services you offer are amazing but it seems like you may be taken advantage of. Definitely charge a pickup delivery fee and set some hour limitation.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I would definately pay more for pick-up and delivery. I also think that allowing clients to pick up at all hours is another luxury. When we used to board pour girls there were set times for drop off and pick-up. It may be time for you tom raise the rates and set some time limits. You are way too nice. (not that there is anything wrong with that)

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
I pay it. The cost is about $25.00 and extra for special needs. If you aren't there by a certain hour you pay another day.

I would love to have you as my minder.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I would definately expect to pay extra for pickup and delivery back to my home. And your rates are extremely reasonable. The doggie day care we take our girls to charges $20 per day, per dog. And when we board them (not often) it is $40 per day. Now they take really good care of them, lots of exercise and play time and they have nice climate controlled kennels too. Coco is my rock collector so I don't ever want to chance leaving her somewhere she would have gravel as part of her run. Too risky and the savings in cost would be eaten up by the vet bills. :faint: I agree you should re-evaluate your prices. I think you are cheating yourself. If you want to give a "senior discount" to some of your older clients then that is your choice too. I wish you were closer to us too. I would love to be able to find someone to do some additional training with the girls while they are at daycare. Good luck with your business!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
This one is just trying to be helpful, and maybe bring you into a business frame of mind.

You ae charging $15/day for daycare. For here, that is a good deal for your customers. Maybe what you need to do to have some customer as an small independent. So be it.

Average disatnce to pick up is 10-15 miles. Lets use 12.5 miles. Round trip in the morning is 25 miles, probably around a gallon of gas and in excess of a half hour. Same in the afternoon, 2 gallons of gas and a full hour.

Gas at $2.75, it costs you $5.50, plus an hour of your time, and wear and tear on your car. That $15.00 you were making is now $9.50 after you subtract the gas. and you gave them another hour of your time. Does your vehicle get 25 mpg?

If you use the govt mileage cost numbers, I think somewhere around 50 cents per mile, your daily cost (50 miles for two round trips) is $25. Wait, that is more than what you charge per day. You are losing money. It is time to stop pickup and delivery.
What Ed said! ^^^

1 - 18 of 18 Posts