Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today in the park I saw an old German Shepherd. It had a set of wheels for its back legs, apparently she had spinal nerve damage and hip problems. I asked if she could stand alone without the wheels and her owner said NO.

Would you put this dog out of its misery considering it cant stand at all unaided? Also it messes itself. I think I would have her PTS just wondered if any of you would do same?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Based on the info you gave, I would have to say "Yes, I would." I understand this is a difficult (to put it mildly) decision to have to make, but this poor pup has no quality of life & that is not fair to her.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Was the dog in pain? Was she no longer enjoying her life? Then yes. But that's a difficult, painful decision only the owner can make, not passersby, not strangers on the internet.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a lab that comes in to my work that has a cart. She has a spinal cord injury. Let me tell you she is the happest lab since she got her wheels. She zooms around the clinic now. Now if the dog is in pain in the cart thats different.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lexis Mom said:
Based on the info you gave, I would have to say "Yes, I would." I understand this is a difficult (to put it mildly) decision to have to make, but this poor pup has no quality of life & that is not fair to her.
Oh yes very difficult and I never said anything as its obviously not my decision to make

kaytris said:
Was the dog in pain? Was she no longer enjoying her life? Then yes. But that's a difficult, painful decision only the owner can make, not passersby, not strangers on the internet.
She could barely walk even with her wheels, on painkillers too

millstonekennel said:
I have a lab that comes in to my work that has a cart. She has a spinal cord injury. Let me tell you she is the happest lab since she got her wheels. She zooms around the clinic now. Now if the dog is in pain in the cart thats different.
If she was zoomin around fair enough but she was hobbling even with the wheels :(

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
That's a hard decision to make. Like others have said, if the dog is pain free and enjoying life, then, no I wouldn't have it PTS. I have a friend who showed Bassets. A few years ago the male she had at the time ruptured his spinal cord. He spent the last few months of his life using a cart, because, as my friend put it, from the middleof his back forward, he was still Benny. The day he woke up without the spark for life in his eyes she had him PTS.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
If the only thing you are taking into account is whether a dog has use of it's back legs then I would have euthanased one of my dogs 18 months ago. He hasn't been able to use his rear legs since March 2007. However there are a lot of things to consider....is the dog in pain?...is it still enjoying life?....are you as an owner able to cope (and it is very hard work)? So it's not an easy decision to make and has to be considered on a case by case basis.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Kaznalf,

I understand where you are coming from and may have instantly agreed with you, but I followed the story of Daisy on another forum.
http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/fire-hydrant-f50.html

If interested, do a search on Daisy and read some of the stories and what the owners did for her, and what most that followed it interpreted to be a dog , though handicapped, truly enjoyed her life up to its sudden end.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I agree with the others. Quality of life is the #1 priority, not limb usage. ;)

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Endofile said:
Kaznalf,

I understand where you are coming from and may have instantly agreed with you, but I followed the story of Daisy on another forum.
http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/fire-hydrant-f50.html

If interested, do a search on Daisy and read some of the stories and what the owners did for her, and what most that followed it interpreted to be a dog , though handicapped, truly enjoyed her life up to its sudden end.
Im on that forum I read alot of daisys stories and its so obvious she enjoyed life and was a shock when she died :'( this dog today was nothing like Daisy :( I dont think she enjoyed life

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
We had talked about that option with Cinder. Cinder is not the most active dog in the world and you would think she is half dead sometimes. But she is still the happiest dog in the world. She needs her leg pain managed (we've gotten this far without Rx meds doing so) and she still takes Pred and her thyroid meds. But man you cannot beat her happy go lucky tail and smile.
I honestly think she would LOVE a wheelchair!

Quality of life is what is more important. You did of course leave out the other details in your original post. But these people live with the dog day to day. It is their choice in the end and yes some people do get selfish. I unfortunately cannot answer for myself OR them since it goes beyond black and white. Maybe this dog was having a bad day. There are days in the past I thought for sure Cinder was a goner and we were going to have to put her to sleep. But next thing ya know the little turd it butt tucking!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts