Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´ve been offered a collie puppy (I can choose either girl or boy, only two left) from a friend here at the office, that has to travel next week with his wife and needs urgently to place the pups.

They have both parents and bred them because they wanted to have puppies once (you know, the "typical" I want to breed them once in their lifetime family). I would never buy a dog bred in this situation, but considering the pups need a good home, I told him I would think about it.

I always wanted a collie, I love the breed but honestly know very little about it because they are very rare here in Mexico, however from what I´ve researched they seem to be wonderful dogs.

What would you do? I already lived with 3 dogs before (a dane and 2 labs) but all were girls. Would you get the boy or the girl? Homer is a very dog friendly dog (both with males and females), Misha is a bit more dominant with females but has never gotten into trouble with any of my friends´girls.

The other thing that worries me is that Homer is recovering from his elbows surgery, and even though he´s doing great I´m afraid of introducing a new distraction right now (he´s not allowed to rump or run yet)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
We have three I guess it just depends on what all you like to do with them if it's a good idea. It's difficult to walk 3 at one time (for me at least) but two is ok. Of course it's more food, prevenitive meds, vet bills, etc.
From what I know collie's are smart but need a lot of exercise and stimulation.
I love all my dogs but it was easier with just 2.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I consider it everyday! But I agree with Samson. Do a little research on collies. They need tons and tons of exercise. You'll probably have your little puppy herding your labs! Collies are beautiful dogs.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Collies have eye problems along with the normal hip/elbow/etc. Unless the parents have been checked, I wouldn't.

Plus they need massive and I mean MASSIVE amounts of grooming.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
I've boarded two different collies - one rough and one smooth - and their barks can peel paint. They are LOUD, shrill and LOUD. they bark when they play, when they are excited, when they hear a noise, when the moon is in saturn...

I'm not fond of barky dogs, and will never have a collie or sheltie for that reason

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
If the 3rd dog was a Collie, then no, I definitely would not consider it.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Collies have eye problems along with the normal hip/elbow/etc. Unless the parents have been checked, I wouldn't.

Plus they need massive and I mean MASSIVE amounts of grooming.
I didn't know about the eye problems, but I do know about the grooming. You think Labs shed and need brushing? TIMES TEN! :eek: That beautiful coat will mat very quickly and very badly if not taken care of daily.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
My grandparents always had Collies. Wonderful dogs, all of them.

Having said that, I (personally) would be wary of the health issues/advice you have been given. IF you are willing to take on the risk. Why not.

But, to answer your question re: 3 dogs. Adding a third really does add a new perspective to the family dynamic. I always consider myself "handicapped" by the fact that I have 3 dogs...and only 2 hands. Though, I must say that I have never once regretted adding a 3rd.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the input, I´m really going to sleep it over the weekend and give a careful thought. I didn´t know they were that active plus I really can´t stand dogs that bark whenever a fly passes by. I thought they had an energy level similar to a lab not more like a border collie (I would never have a border collie, too much for me!)

The hair... I´ve fostered my brother´s bernese mountain dog a couple of times and indeed they need a LOT of grooming if you want your house clean.

I´m beggining to lean towards keeping my family of 2... a very high energy dog could end up affecting Homer´s elbows and shorten his life expectancy since he´s not supposed to run all day long anymore

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Call me stoopid, but what kind of Collie are we talking here? Rough, Bearded, Border?

If it is a BC, beware of getting one from anything but a good breeder. I meet so many poorly bred ones with behavioural problems it is unreal.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Under normal circumstances, I'd say yes. Hell, at my peak, I've had 8 :eek: The thing that concerns me in your case is this:

The other thing that worries me is that Homer is recovering from his elbows surgery, and even though he´s doing great I´m afraid of introducing a new distraction right now (he´s not allowed to rump or run yet)
You need to ask yourself, is getting another pup no matter what breed, worth risking Homer's chances of ever getting back to normal given the fact of how hyperactive most pups are vs his need for rest to help him get well quicker?

If the answer is no, then you've just answered your original question. ;)

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I had a smooth collie - not a big barker and did not require more than moderate exercise - but even the smooth coated dogs are COPIOUS shedders and require daily grooming. I never left the house without dog hair on me when she was my dog. It was impossible to keep under control. WAY worse than Labs.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I wouldn't mind having 3, but since I am single, being able to give them the time they require would be difficult. For that reason alone, I would not get a third. And if I did, it would be another Lab or, as in Barney's case, a Lab mix. There are lots of other great breeds out there, but a Lab fits my personality and lifestyle best.

Given that Homer is recovering and doesn't need the constant activity a puppy, especially, would bring, I think I might have to say no for that reason. When I brought Barney into the family here, I knew that Tal and Midnight (my cat) had to accept him. I could not bring a dog into the household that they did not get along with. Thankfully, I never had to deal with that one.

Good luck, and I know this is a tough call. I can understand wanting to take in the little one, but you have to think of Homer and the others first.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I wouldn't mind 3 dogs....I do fine with my 5.

I wouldn't worry about the pup and the dog recovering. I managed adding Grace (#3) when Hudler "just" had TPLO surgery...her first 6 months with us was Hudler recovering and it was fine.

I would worry about a breed that had high health problems and a family that might not have done ANY testing. I also wouldn't be able to stand the grooming.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
We had been considering it at one point, but then decided that it may be a bit too much. A little over a month ago I found Penny in a box (she's about 12 weeks old now), we're not sure what kind of dog she is but whooooo boy is she high energy!!!

I wouldn't trade having 3 dogs for the world, luckily there are 3 other people in the house so exercise isn't an issue here.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went to see the pups yesterday and made the final decision to not get the collie (sorry it was a rough collie, should have clarified).

In general parents were OK, not AKC champions but both are really good looking sable colored friendly collies. The puppies were also OK, but barkers just as the parents. Friend told me both parents have been very very healthy so far (they are 4 and 3 yrs old)

In the end I decided to not get the pup because I definitely don´t want to affect Homer´s recovery and he´s still over one more month to go before I can allow free rumping and running again.

Maybe in the future. Right now my biggest concern is ensuring Homer a good quality of life for as long as he can live, and that probably means no intense rough playing anymore.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
In the end I decided to not get the pup because I definitely don´t want to affect Homer´s recovery and he´s still over one more month to go before I can allow free rumping and running again.

Maybe in the future. Right now my biggest concern is ensuring Homer a good quality of life for as long as he can live, and that probably means no intense rough playing anymore.
Very wise decision. :) Now you can concentrate on giving Homer all the TLC he needs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts