Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my little man, Hendrix is acting, well...funny. Just really lethargic and lazy. Ferrets are prone to a variety of helath problems and although he is still very young (8 months old) I'm still concearned that something is wrong with him. We will be taking him to the vet to have a variety of tests done.

Blood Glucose screening-to check for the disease insulinoma, cancer of the pancreas
DIM testing- more blood tests to check for a rare disease found in ferrets
Adrenal Disease testing

Poor Hendrix. I hope he's ok. I already have one sick ferret and I don't need another one. If he does have any of the conditions listed above he will need surgery. He's so young, I hope all is ok. Please keep us in your prayers. Just like people have heart-dogs or soul-dogs, this ferret is my heart-ferret. I want him to be ok so desperately.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Oh no! I hope its nothing serious.

Wuv the widdle face. :-* He reminds me of Moe.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's my baby. Out of all the ferrets I will ever have he's definitly my heart ferret. He was the second ferret I ever had and he is a little snuggler. I am working on finding an organization to certify him so we can get to visitng nursing homes and such. However if he's sick that might put things on hold. Hoping its nothing serious. Usually with young ferrets illnesses are rare. Its when they get over 3 years old that you gotta look out for problems.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I hope it's nothing. Regardless, sending good thoughts for Hendrix.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Aww, poor baby. :( I pray that he is ok.

I had a heart ferret. His name was Rebel. I didn't want anymore ferrets after he passed, he was that special. So I know how you feel.

I think the average lifespan is like 6 - 8 years. 8 is very old for a ferret.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup ferrets generally live 6-8 years in north america, 8-10 (or more) years in other countires. OUr ferrets in north america have more health problems and that lowers their lifespan. But yeah, Hend is just now an adult ferret and for him to be seriously sick would be very odd. ITs not impossible, just unusual. But he's not acting himself so I hope he's ok.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See I already have one sick ferret (Delilah, who is 7 years old) she has adrenal disease (common in 60-80% of north american ferrets) its alot of work caring for her, she gets medical therapy to treat her disease because she's too old for surgery. I just wasn't expecting any of the other ferrets to get sick before she passed on. Keeping fingers crossed that hend is ok. He's sooo young.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts