Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we adopted Duke from the shelter, he was diagnosed with hookworms. At his last vet visit 4 days ago, his fecal sample tested negative and he was given a booster of the same de-worming medications, just to be safe. So, that's good.

I have been so antsy this whole time though, b/c I've been reading that it is possible for humans to contract these nasty things via their infected puppy. Or is it just through soil contamination? And if it is through soil contamination, does it have to be direct contact between my feet and "infected" soil, or can it happen through actions as indirect as puppy walking on the soil, and then walking into the house, and then me walking barefoot in the house? Am I over-analyzing this? Or do I have to give my puppy a bath every time he's been outside?? :) B/c that would be about 10 baths a day. :p :p I've already given myself severly chapped hands with all the extra hand-washing I've been doing b/c I'm paranoid! The only thing the vet has said is just to practice "good hygiene," which of course we do. Are there any other precautions that I need to be taking? And is there any treatment I can spray on the lawn to rid it of any possible worm eggs in the soil?? I'm such a freakin nut. The thought of little wormy larvae working their way through my house makes me queasy!
Thanks for the input!
Meg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I swear I have been looking for articles like this for weeks! But this one was definitely the most informative and to the point. SO thank you! I wish they would have named which treatments were safe to put on the lawn...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts