Just Labradors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Note: I also posted this in H and N as I'm hoping for quick replies. TIA

Dee has been doing some "scooting" lately, so I took her into the Vet last week and he checked her anal glands. He said they were pretty full and it was rather sludgy/abnormal. Since then she's still scooting occasionally. There shouldn't be any irritation there because I used some cream he prescribed for a few days to alleviate that.

Anyway, this morning it occured to me that I haven't wormed her for a bit. Her bowels are fine....no sign of anything and doubt that this is the problem, but I'm going to do her anyway. Thing is she is already booked to have her vaccinations this week and I'm not sure about worming and vaccinating so close together. I'd appreciate your comments on this. Is it something you would worry about....I mean the vaccinating and worming so close together? TIA.

Edited to add: I use Interceptor Flavor Tabs.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I don't know where you are...or how old your dog is but around here it's very rare for adult dogs to have worms. Worm medication is a poison and I wouldn't use it unless you know for sure. I'd wait and bring a stool sample with me to the vets when you go for vaccinations and go from there. Besides...worm medication is species specific and you don't know what worm you might actually be dealing with. Giving worm medication for the wrong worm is just a waste of money and potentially a medical problem.
Our vet would have us use Preparation H for irritated an irritated anus.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rayluckgoo....yes you're right. I had already decided to take a sample in first. I never used to worm my last dogs.....just routinely did a stool check at the Vet and nothing ever turned up. I don't know why they are advising to worm so often.....considering heartworm isn't an issue. She does tend to pick dirty sticks and stuff up when we walk, but hopefully if worms are the problem it will show up in the sample.

The anti-itch cream he prescribed should have done the trick as I know it works well, so that's what made me think of the possibility of worms. Maybe her anal glands are still irritated for some reason. Thanks for you comments.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts