Just Labradors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else do Pilates? I just finished a 9-week course through our Parks and Recreation and I am hooked! I signed up for a 12-week course that starts after spring break. We had a really good instructor (owns her own studio) and she will be teaching the next session. She does throw in a little yoga in the mix. It is amazing how well it works on your body, I'm slowly toning up and gaining more flexilbity. It you haven't tried it, I highly recommend giving Pilates a shot. I also want to do something through the summer, but they aren't offering Pilates so I may take a Core Fusion class or go to my instructor's studio and sign up for an short course until fall. Poise Yoga & Pilates Studio

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I love Pilates. The gym I go to has drop-in Burn-Out (weight lifting class) followed by Pilates. A couple of months ago my girlfriend and I did the Burn-Out class, and she wanted to stay for Pilates (I had done this before, but she had not). About 10 minutes in, she said, "I thought Pilates was stretching and stuff . . . this sucks!" I laughed so hard . . .no, no, it is not just "stretching and stuff". It is a hard workout (especially after weight lifting). It felt so good the first time I made it all the way through a class, wasn't dying 1/2 way through, and felt like I did everything right. :)

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I've done PiYo and Yoga...but not Pilates. It's hard for me to concentrate though...my mind wanders when it's supposed to be quiet...especially during chivase (sp) at the end.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I assume you're just doing Pilates mat work? There's another whole side of the discipline with equipment - but you really have to make sure you go to a studio with really high-quality instruction (which it sounds like your instructor runs). And don't - repeat don't - order a knock-off "Pilates machine" online and expect it will be the same. It might give you a decent workout, but it will at best be "Pilates based" not Pilates as many of us have known it through the years. Which is fine - just because I'm a Pilates purist doesn't mean everyone has to be, but I do think one needs to be careful with the labeling, especially when something that had been obscure for most of the years since its development becomes suddenly popular. That's both a good and a bad thing if you know what I'm trying to say.

I love Pilates. I've done it literally for over 20 years, back when pretty much the only people who knew about it were dancers. I even got certified to teach a number of years back, but I find that although I love doing it I hate teaching it. Now I have a proper reformer in my home and I work out on it at least once a week, often more. It's the only form of exercise I have the discipline to do at home on my own. I've quit too many gym-based "Pilates" mat classes to count since most don't meet my overly-rigorous standards, but I have found a few that were good.

In any case, it's great for strength and flexibility. And it's a lot harder than it looks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.