Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today officially marks 9 years for me with the same employer! :eek:

I know by some standards that is not alot, but with the way some people job hop now-a-days, I think that is a huge. It is especially poingant considering 9 years ago today, I did not think I would survive 9 days, 9 weeks or even 9 months. My then boss, while very good at what he did, was a very tightly wound Type A personality.

Everything was his way or the highway. I can not even begin to count the number of times he reduced me to a teary mess at the office. Told me any number of times I was untrainable. Why would I stick around & put up with that... I don't know. What I do know is comments like that definitely f' up your psyche.

But I survived, he retired and I have had an awesome boss for the last 2 1/2 years. This boss told me earlier this week that he had my annual review paperwork & would be discussing it with my secondary boss very soon, but I should expect nothing less than a glowing review. :D

Even got a nice pay raise, which was a very pleasant surprise. I was expecting little (if anything) due to the current economic situation.

Got an even nicer compliment from our VP of Finance today. He told me I am the expert in the company when it comes to our import-export compliance. I don't know that I am an expert, but I most definitely the person with the best knowledge of what we need to be doing.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
'when it comes to our import-export compliance.'

I do not think you know how important you are. The future of the company is in your hands. Selling product abroad is the future. You hold the keys. Whatever raise you got was not enough. Time to tell the boss that you are the future of the company and deserve at least as much as the CEO.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
'when it comes to our import-export compliance.'

I do not think you know how important you are. The future of the company is in your hands. Selling product abroad is the future. You hold the keys. Whatever raise you got was not enough. Time to tell the boss that you are the future of the company and deserve at least as much as the CEO.
Ed, thanks for the compliment. I have some idea as to how important what I do is. It is also quite scary since just one f' up could have us getting a visit from US Customs.

Oh trust me I've already mentioned getting me some subsidiary personnel who can back me up.

Two years ago, my one boss asked me where I wanted to be in 5 years, I politely told him I would like to be VP of Import Export Compliance for the company. I think I surprise him since his face was a bit like this :eek:

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Congratulations. It's always nice to hear how much you're appreciated. And to see it reflected in your paycheck to boot. =)

(You made me realize I sailed right past my 11 year anniversary here a couple of weeks ago!)

I think 9 years is a good long time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts