Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use Microsoft Word?

I'm having a problem that I can't figure out. It won't hold the page format for me. I have a novel out there (in word) and the beginning of each chapter should start on line 7. But as I scroll through the document, it isn't so. Maybe the first three or four chapters are okay, then chapter five begins way down the page, on like line 20, and after that every chapter starts even further down on the page until I actually end up with blank pages in the document.

I go back and put all the chapters so they start on line 7 again, and save the document again, and again it will dropped chapters beginnings to different lines, and not the same chapters!!

This is very frustrating that it won't hold the format.

What am I doing wrong???

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I don't know, but I'm curious too. It seems like every time I have to write a lengthy brief, formatting issues crop up. I fix one, and it throws something else off. I'm sure part of it is my fault, but formatting in Word drives me crazy.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
I don't know. Sometimes, tho, I've found that the screen preview is different than how something will print out. Maybe double check the lay out in print preview?

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I will look at the preview. The document is over 500 pages, so it's a monster to deal with when it won't format correctly.
Grrr, I'm sure it's microsoft's problem.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
How are you setting up the chapters? The surest way to get a reliable opening sink in Word is to make a new section for the beginning of each chapter, and then define a style called "chapter opener" or whatever, and apply it to the first text par. Then set the paragraph format to the space above that you want.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have looked online but can't find a solution for this problem.

I have typed the manuscript as one big document. The same way I would type it if I did it on a typewriter (yes, ages ago I used a real typewriter). What I do for each new chapter is begin it on line 6 (which is actually line 12 as I'm double spacing, so I manually hit enter six times to get to line 12. It will hold some of the chapters on line 6, but others it won't, it keeps moving them around, and it seems to do it randomly. I fix one, it pulls another one off.

I checked the print preview, it's the same as the screen preview, so I know it would print messed up. I have to manually go in and fix the pages to print them. I will have to print it a chapter at a time and probably re-number the pages as I go because when it messes up the beginning of a chapter, it will also mess up the pages after it so they are all off by one page #.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Have you looked at the whole story using your formatting marks? When I cannot get something to look right I click on the "show all formatting marks" and can usually find where there has been a mistake made.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
You have probably done this, but sometimes one might forget.

Do you end each chapter with a section break, rather than a page break? Actually, either should prevent any change in a preceeding chapter from affecting the following chapters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts