Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming home from the transfer station yesterday, I spotted 2 turkey vultures and several ravens on the ground hovering over something big on the logging road on the way back to our house.
It is the logging path we walk on everyday but we never get to that end via hiking because it is too close to the road. I asked SU to turn around and see what the vultures were after.
We pull in and I suddenly get chicken and tell SU to go see what is on the ground. He gets out, walks over and is staring for a few minutes and shrugs his shoulders and motions for me to come take a look.
So I go over and Jim says it is like something out of X Files..

It is this big sac like thing..the size of a filled tall kitchen bag...sorta looks like a huge placenta...sorta like a big stomach...and big horse like poop all around...we are like what the heck is it and where did it come from? There is nothing else around..

So I decide to walk in a bit more...BINGO...HUGE Moose carcass...
the coyotes had gotten to it and it was gutted and legs gone...but his beautiful head was still intact.
The sac was the moose's innards.

We wondered for a while how he met his end...perhaps a car swiped him?
the ravens and vultures were all waiting while we got back in the car...as soon as we were driving away...they dropped down to clean up...

Soon the girls will be finding random bones again scattered throughout the woods..likely this moose bones..

when we got near the end of our hike today, the girls were sniffing the air and I could hear the ravens talking away in the distance. The girls were very interested in what was going on down the way..Cricket let out a few barks and Lucy decided it was time to head back..perhaps the coyotes were near.

The woods are a cool place and ever changing.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Sounds fascinating (though I'm glad there are no pictures). I would love to live so close to the woods like that.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Even though I feel sorry for the animal, especially if its been hit by a car, it's interesting to see. I worked at a small delivery place and would frequent a taxidermy business. Very cool place! Seeing the bone structure of a bear, deer, cougar. He would always have something he was in the process of working on. That would be a interesting job to have.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I wonder if where it is early spring the moose was old and sick and just couldn't find enough to eat.

If it had been Cinnamon she would have been looking for moose poop to roll in.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Sound cool to me! I love the woods for the same reason you do I think: They are ever changing. You never know what hidden treasure (or in this case, hidden horror) you are going to find. It's always an adventure.

(disclaimer: Yes, I was the kid who poked dead things with a stick....) Still do.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
You're very brave. I would have thrown up, being a city girl.

I remember the skull you have in your yard. Wow. You amaze me, girl. :)

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was a suburban girl...this suits me better.
Looking at all the wonder of the woods...better than TV...

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Oh yes! I love the woods!!! I love exploring and going "treasure hunting" with the kiddos. Of course, explaining that one, might take a while!

We do find lots of deer carcasses - I once had to chuck an entire deer leg up in to a tree, because my boys were fighting over who carried it around! Ick!

G

·
That's one of the many things about living on our place - never know what you'll see or hear while wondering around. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts