Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few years it seems more and more cinder has a hard time doing things without getting "winded"
Seems like it is getting worse.
Today I had her at the vet to get a rabies and he just had a quick listen to her heart and said it was "working really hard".

So now I've been doing some searching and worried she might have a heart condition.....maybe even related to her meds (long term pred use).

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the vet did not seem too concerned..but now i am sitting here more worried than I probably should be LOL
I did notice much more severe head atrophy.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Sending good thoughts for Cinders and for peace of mind for you.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I don't know what to tell you - I feel that way too sometimes about Angus.

He goes at everything so hard, but he tires so quickly and needs to rest. Especially in summer. One of the times we were recently at the vet, the vet made some comment about his heart...I can't remember now exactly what it was, but it was something along the lines of your comment.

The next time we were there in a few weeks, he listened again and I reminded him of his comment and asked if that was something I should be worried about. He said no, no concern necessary.

:confused:

I hope we are both just ultra-sensitive and making something out of nothing.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Good thoughts for Cinder.
Not to be negative, or worry you, but our Papillon who we put down at age 14 about a year ago was on and off pred. for the last 6 or os years of her life and ended up with some heart problems, I believe it became enlarged, or something to that degree. I can talk to my vet about what exactly it was if you're interested.

The way we became aware of it was when she one day kind of seized and passed out. We got her to the vet and she made it back home after the vet was worried she wouldn't and was able to be with us for another 10 months before she lost control of her bladder and started having those episodes more often.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good thoughts for Cinder.
Not to be negative, or worry you, but our Papillon who we put down at age 14 about a year ago was on and off pred. for the last 6 or os years of her life and ended up with some heart problems, I believe it became enlarged, or something to that degree. I can talk to my vet about what exactly it was if you're interested.

The way we became aware of it was when she one day kind of seized and passed out. We got her to the vet and she made it back home after the vet was worried she wouldn't and was able to be with us for another 10 months before she lost control of her bladder and started having those episodes more often.
I am almost certain it may be related to the pred. She has been on it for several years. But without it she would not have been here this long.
I fear, what happened to your Pap is what will happen to her. It is in the back of my mind.
I am always aware and always have been that we are SOOOOO blessed to have her (and her us) and each day I am thankful she is part of our family but we are living on borrowed time...yet she just keeps going!

What really got me was the atrophy. Its funny how you can see it...but then one day YOU SEE IT!! It's bad. Otherwise she is a super happy dog!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Kim,
Yes, without the pred Oreo (the Pap) would not have lived those last 6 years. She kept slipping a disk in her back and then would be in such pain she could not even walk, the pred really improved her quality of life to where she could run and play. Also, just some encouragement, after that first episode, she was pretty down and sick for about a week (didn't eat, got weak, etc.) but then came back around and was really herself and full of pep for a good 10 months, besides an episode here and there if she got real excited, without any meds even (the meds upset her tummy, and the meds were human meds that are prescribed for people with congestive heart failure, I believe).

I totally understand where you are with Cinder. Oreo was *my* dog, with me since I was 5 (don't remember life without her), and totally my one and only, so in my opinion the pred was great, and you do have to take the bad alongside the good, we got 6 years together and then 10 months more than any vet thought we could and I am happy for that.

Prayers for Cinder.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
(((((Hugs))))) to you and Cinder. I just hate it when vets (or doctors) say something like that, and then just leave it hanging there.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Good thoughts for Cinder. My mom's dog is like this. She is 14. She wants to run and play but then when she does, she collapses on the floor and you can tell she has a hard time breathing. What are you supposed to do? Not let her play? It's the only thing she has left now. She can't go on long walks anymore, her one back leg gives out, so a little bit of play time is all she gets.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Good thoughts for Cinder and hugs to you. How old is Cinder now?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good thoughts for Cinder and hugs to you. How old is Cinder now?
She is 10. Vets and all of us did not expect her to last much beyond eight! They tell me all the time that it is a testament of the care we give her why she is still here because they don't know why. She is a very old 10. More like a 15 yr old dog.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts