Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hesitate to post this on here. I haven't really been posting about Jack lately because I have been struggling with him for quite a while now. He has tried to bite me (no not the play mouthing... I know the difference) several times now and I am just not in a position to deal with that kind of training. My neighbor (who Jack loves and adores... he's a big ex military guy) had a friend who was looking for a dog like Jack (also ex-military) and Jack adored him as well when meeting him. (He must have a thing for men because I've noticed that since the day I took him home)

I believe I made the best decision for the two of us. I couldn't have taken him back to the humane society (I'm not sure they would have been able to place him and they eventually euthanize when they cannot adopt a dog). I am trying to look on it as if I was a foster parent... I gave him a good home, took care of him, got him fully vaccinated, exercised him and got the fat off him from inactivity, cleaned up his coat and dealt with a small bit of mange... and then I found a better home for him. This guy hunts, is retired, has lots of time and dog experience with which to train Jack and provide a healthy happy life for him.

What really put me over the edge is that I saw Jack give the look Ender used to give me to my neighbor Tom and his friend. (speaking of Ender... he's doing great. I might plan a trip to DC to visit him and his new little bro Luxo at the end of May)

I feel like a failure... but I'm trying to focus on moving on and taking care of the other things in my life that need attention.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Oh Linds... I am sorry to hear this! :grouphug:

You did what was best for Jack & for you! Don't think of it as a failure, it just wasn't right.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I'm sorry. Everyone here knows you didn't adopt him on the spur of the moment. You took your time, and you tried your best. Sometimes, things just don't work out the way you would like them too. You did wonders with him while you had him. It sounds like you found Jack a great home so that's all anyone could ask. I'm glad to hear Ender is doing well. :)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh Linds, I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how attached you became to him. Will you be able to get regular updates? Did he seem sad to leave you? :(

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Oh Linds. I'm so sorry it didn't work out. You did a great job getting him and shape and it sounds like he'll be happy in his new home. {{{HUGS}}}

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Don't look at it as a failure. You rescued him from a place where his future was uncertain and he ended up in a home that was right for him. I just read a book about a guy that rehomed one of his dogs because the dog was just not happy and he ended up in a home that was better for him. I look at things differently now than I did a few years ago. There are circumstances sometimes that make it the best decision for the dog. We shouldn't judge. You did what's best for Jack, that's all that matters. You and he were just not the best match. Will you get to see him sometimes?

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did he seem sad to leave you?
In a word... No.

In more than one word... He loves and adores Tom so when Tom came to get him he was happy as a clam. I closed the door and then proceeded to cry for a while on the couch.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Now I'm gonna cry. :(

·
Registered
618 Posts
I agree with everyone else. You did a great thing for him. You found him a great home. Don't feel bad.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Aw, I'm sorry for you, Linds.

It was a good try, though. I don't think anyone here (much less your own self) can say you didn't try REALLY hard to make it all work....

All you need to know that you did the right thing is the smily look on Jack's face when he went off w/militaryguy. You took a dog who was abandoned, broken, mangy, scared, and facing a rather dim future and, with generosity and TLC, spiffed him up to tip-top shape for a foreverhome.

Where's the failure in that???

When you're ready, begin your search again. There's a dog out there w/your name on it................

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I'm sorry it didn't work out, but you tried your best and gave Jack a great life...first with you and now with his new dad.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
You took a dog who was abandoned, broken, mangy, scared, and facing a rather dim future and, with generosity and TLC, spiffed him up to tip-top shape for a foreverhome.

Where's the failure in that???
THAT!!!!
*wild applause*
:D

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I'm sorry Lindsey I know how hard of a decision it is to rehome them but sometimes you have to do what is best for them and you. Finding a new home for Mocha was the hardest decision but she's happier now and the lady that has her is so thrilled to have her so it was for the best.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I'm so sorry. Jack seemed like such a good boy, but trying to bite you isn't a good thing. The only time Sam has ever bitten me was when she missed the stick while we were playing and I have no doubt that it was puppy like exuberance instead of malicious intent. I know I would have been heartbroken if she'd meant to bite.

I think you did the right thing.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I am so sorry, it sucks that you have to go through that. You did a very good, self-less thing though; you rescued Jack, cleaned him up, took care of him, and found him a home.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts