Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am a raw feeder and I belong to several other dog related groups. With the recent recalls and questions about pet foods right now alot of folks are switching to grain free kibble, homemade and raw. I know its on alot of folks minds, the message boards on other groups i'm on are in the hundreds and hundreds per day with concerned pet owners. Grain free kibble,for kibble feeders seems like a wise choice as it seems that the grain sources seem to be the problem. Just food for thought. Take Care. :)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Since this recall, I am doubly glad I feed grain free. I got my parents onto grain free for their 3 dogs 1.5 years ago as well, and that's the first thing my dad said to me "Well, I'm pretty glad you got us to switch".

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
ThatsMyGirl said:
Not every dog can handle the high levels of protein and fat. Not every owner can handle the high price tag of grainless food. And I have to ask ... does this make you feel any better about feeding meat (to yourself or your dog)?: http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN2930654720070329

The food chain obviously isn't as safe as we think it is.

FWIW, I feed raw and dehydrated.
I agree about the high price, but there are options out there. Ryans/Global Pet store makes their own grain free holistic verson, Nature's Harvest, that is about 42$ for a 40 lb bag. That's what I'm using and I love it. And I agree, the food chain isn't nearly as safe as we think it is.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that it may not be all grains that are prone to become tainted - it seems like I have mostly heard about corn and wheat. I *think* I read somewhere that these can be more prone to develop toxins if improperly stored. ??? That's the impression I was left with after some reading...?

Of course, rice could be contaminated with rat poison as well. :-\ But rice has a shelf life of what, eternity?

The boys are eating foods with only human-grade ingredients. While even that is no guarantee of anything (spinach, Peter Pan ::) ), it makes me feel a *little* safer. Hopefully the standards of inspection are higher.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that it may not be all grains that are prone to become tainted - it seems like I have mostly heard
Corn and wheat are the big ones...just about all the recalls involve some problem with either corn or wheat.

Another thing to consider is just doing a little bit of background research on your brand. Do they make their own food, or do they hire another company to produce it? Where do they get their ingredients?

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I feed Healthwise and feel pretty good about it. I'd like to feed Evo, but with three large dogs it isn't an option for me. Plus I worry about the long term effects of the high protein/fat content.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Betsy, which ones don't? That's a big concern for me.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Mickey developed such a raging allergy to corn and wheat (chicken and peanut butter) that we had to start feeding him a special diet from very early on. We feed Wellness Simple, but I just saw that link in the other thread about Flint River. I don't want to hijack the thread, so I won't get into my opinion about what's killed the local/family owned farm and how the American public is now reaping what our government has sown, but there it is.

In any case, we were very lucky to find that Mickey's allergies are controllable mostly through removing those ingredients from his diet. Who knows what lovely new horror is going to come from all this. My Mom's cat was on a prescription weight reduction diet, and she passed recently from kidney failure. Seem awful coincidental, especially since she was never sick, had no chronic illnesses, and was only 7 years old. My Mom is beside herself, worried that the prescription diet might've killed her.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
The recalls haven't effected us in this country but despite that, I have no problem with grains in kibble. I can only think of 2 grain free kibbles in this country that you can buy off the shelf (and both have been introduced within the last 6 months -- the UK is VERY behind on dog food) and neither of them have particularly appealing ingredients. Not in comparison to Innova EVO or grain free Timberwolf Organics, anyway.

Obviously I'm not advocating grain based kibbles (Pedigree, etc.) but as I say, the use of good quality grains (brown rice and so on) don't worry me.

Lets face it, the majority of people are NOT interested in feeding their dog grainless, raw or high quality kibble. They want something cheap and easy. That is why Ol' Roy is the top food in the USA and a terrible brand made by Purina called Bakers is the top food here in the UK.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts