Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously. With all that has been going on in Virginia today, I've been thinking and crying a lot.

There are some sick and twisted people in this world. It especially hits home because of my two friends there and also because I too am a college student. It scares me to think that this could happen at my school or any other school. Next thing you know Joe or Suzie is going to be pissed because their psych teacher gave them a 'D' in the class and they're going to come shoot up the place. It sounds ridiculous but in todays world anything can happen.

:'( I'm scared...and I'm angry...and most of all I can't stop crying and I have a headache.
 
G

·
It really is terrible. I'm sure this will bring the gun control advocates out of the woodwork once again. ANd they will once again use this to cover the real root of the problem. It has, in my mind nothing to do with access to guns - Americans have had ready access to guns throughout our history. The real issue is that we've devalued the sanctity of human life. We bombard kids with ruthlessly violent images in graphic video games that make killing people sport or just fun. Music artists advocate the violent lifestyle and belittle women. In the end, we condition people to think that the way to make a statement is to go out and massacre people. Nothing to do with having access to guns, everything to do with making the taking of human life OK, fun and natural when one is frustrated with life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,463 Posts
Luckily well over 99% of our society handles a D in Psych. class in acceptable ways.

These things happen. Evil exists in the world. Some give into evil and succumb to it. If someone is willing to take their own life they have incredible power and control in doing whatever it is they want. You can't stop these type of people....but luckily we live among very few people like this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree Mark, and DOT you are right on, but it's still scary to think about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,265 Posts
I've been thinking about it a lot, too, Stace. It really does make you view your campus and your classes differently, doesn't it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,007 Posts
2LabsInNEPA said:
It really is terrible. I'm sure this will bring the gun control advocates out of the woodwork once again. ANd they will once again use this to cover the real root of the problem. It has, in my mind nothing to do with access to guns - Americans have had ready access to guns throughout our history. The real issue is that we've devalued the sanctity of human life. We bombard kids with ruthlessly violent images in graphic video games that make killing people sport or just fun. Music artists advocate the violent lifestyle and belittle women. In the end, we condition people to think that the way to make a statement is to go out and massacre people. Nothing to do with having access to guns, everything to do with making the taking of human life OK, fun and natural when one is frustrated with life.
Mark you said it well. I sat with a friend my age this weekend who because of injuries that keep him from doing what he has done all his life has had to go back to school and live in a dorm. He said that this is the first time in his life he has felt unsecure, not the going to school, but the no guns policy because his safety is almost totally up to others, something he does not like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LarrytheLabs Mom said:
I've been thinking about it a lot, too, Stace. It really does make you view your campus and your classes differently, doesn't it?
It really does, especially since I've been looking into going away for my last year of college (which would be next spring hopefully). It has made me reconsider a lot of things, and today I was thankful that I live at home not on campus. It's one of those things you think will never happen to you, yet here I sit wondering if two of my friends from high school are alive or dead. Wondering if something like this could happen on my campus. It definitely has made me think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,110 Posts
Stacey,

It's made me feel scared, and angry, too, today. It's unbelievable, and just makes me shake my head and wonder all over again....what's wrong and how can we try to fix things?

But most of all, your post made me feel badly for you. There you are, worried sick about your friends, and feeling so scared. I sure hope you can feel better soon. It's awful to feel that way. Try to get some rest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh gosh Donna, thank you :)

I've stopped my crying (for now) and still haven't heard any news, but I'm just hoping that they are both safe somewhere with their friends comforting each other. I haven't heard back from their parents and I certainly don't want to keep bothering them. Hopefully I hear some news in the morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,110 Posts
You just cry as much as you need to, honey. I'll keep hoping with you that you hear good news from them, that they're fine.

I hope you can get a good night's sleep tonight. Have your mom give ya a big hug....things might feel safer. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A friend of mine has a quote on his facebook from CNN and it says "...So for today, forget any and all of your college affiliations. For today, we are all Hokies." -CNN


:(

It's so true. So many colleges around here are setting up vigils for tomorrow (several went on tonight), a lot of kids from MD go to VT and I think it's cool that we can all pull together and help our fellow college students.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
My son Max is at Louisburg College , I have previously had to email the Head of Student Services as I was very concerned about the lack of security in his dorms. He has had so much stuff stolen as have many of his room mates. Okay it is only ipods, mobile phones etc but what worried me more was the fact that someone obviously has a "master" swipe card and is using it to access bedrooms. Who knows if it is some crazy fool who goes in with a gun one night! Don't know what the answer is but over here in the UK our Uni's and Colleges just dont have this problem so the gun laws must have something to do with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,110 Posts
AbbyandMolly said:
A friend of mine has a quote on his facebook from CNN and it says "...So for today, forget any and all of your college affiliations. For today, we are all Hokies." -CNN


:(

It's so true. So many colleges around here are setting up vigils for tomorrow (several went on tonight), a lot of kids from MD go to VT and I think it's cool that we can all pull together and help our fellow college students.
Yes, a good quote. And yes, you college kids can pull together and help your fellow students.

Hopefully, a lot of people will pull together to help each other. The heartbreak of the families of those killed and injured. :'( This is a heartbreak for everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,110 Posts
Scalli said:
My son Max is at Louisburg College , I have previously had to email the Head of Student Services as I was very concerned about the lack of security in his dorms. He has had so much stuff stolen as have many of his room mates. Okay it is only ipods, mobile phones etc but what worried me more was the fact that someone obviously has a "master" swipe card and is using it to access bedrooms. Who knows if it is some crazy fool who goes in with a gun one night! Don't know what the answer is but over here in the UK our Uni's and Colleges just dont have this problem so the gun laws must have something to do with it.
Who knows why you in the UK don't seem to have these problems we do...I wish I knew the answers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
Stacey, I am so sorry you are having to feel the way you do. This shooting was a horrible thing and so many were hurt and killed. They are all in my prayers. How did our world come to this, how could someone do such a thing. I know what you mean about feeling scared, I feel it too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,070 Posts
Its just so senseless...

Here is an email from the President of the university I work at (and attended) sent yesterday evening... VT is certainly not alone in their sadness, shock and anger.

MEMORANDUM



TO: The Dalhousie University Community

FROM: Dr. Tom Traves, President

DATE: April 16, 2007

RE: Tragedy at Virginia Tech

The Dalhousie community is shocked by the senseless violence at Virginia Tech. Our hearts and prayers go out to the victims, and their families, friends and colleagues in this dark hour.

We are united in our sorrow and outrage. We are united in our determination that universities and colleges must always stand for reason and humanity in defiance of such inhuman brutality. We will not give in to despair. We reaffirm our values.

The flags at Dalhousie are lowered to half-mast in memory of the victims. Please note that our Counselling Services are available to anyone personally affected by this (located at 6136 University Avenue, telephone 494-2081).

Sincerely,

Tom Traves
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,908 Posts
Hope you are feeling a little better today!

Just found out that my sister's survival defense instructor's dad passed away. He was one of the professors killed. My sister is an alumni of VT. :'(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,306 Posts
Heard on the radio this morning about a man that teaches kids how to react in these situations. He said to RUSH the shooter..don't wait to be lined up and shot. He said do anything you can to stop the shooter..throw things at him, work as a group. I just can't imagine how I would react in that situation...I feel so bad for them all and their parents. :'(
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top