Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love our wine shop!! They have wine tastings on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons. Lookit Saturday:

French Odds & Ends
Blue Heron Tasting Room
Sat, March 7th 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM

Join us on Saturday, March 7th from 1:30 to 4:30 for a tasting of wines from various regions in France including Burgundy and the Loire and Rhone valleys. Among the wines that we will be pouring are Chanson's Bourgogne Pinot Noir 2006, a previous featured wine of week, Jean Maurice Raffault Chinon Les Galuches 2005, and Le Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2006 (rated 93 points from Wine Spectator).

*jumping up and down a clapping hands*

AND...I just got an email on their march madness sale. They are having a sale on a lot of their top end wines. Bottle of 1999 Petrus for $1,450 anyone? :D

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Lucky! All we have are the state stores, and they le sucke.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Nice! I'm afraid France is going to spoil me off our magnifique Franzia. :eek:
Hahahahahahaha!

Martinis, anyone?

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
We have county run stores here that are not bad. I can also go into D.C. to a real wine shop.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I prefer a good white wine......ok....cheap as you can buy is ok........and mix it with Mountain Dew.

No I am not kidding.....it's pretty good.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I prefer a good white wine......ok....cheap as you can buy is ok........and mix it with Mountain Dew.

No I am not kidding.....it's pretty good.
You crazy kids with your rap music and weird drinks! First it was the purple drank (promethazine cough syrup and grape soda), now this.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
How lucky, what fun!!!

I used to work part-time in a wine store during a few of my graduate school years and read up on wine to the great delight of the owner/manager. Every night when I closed shop and went home, as a reward he let me take home a bottle of wine to sample.

Among my most favorites were Pouilly-Fuissé (white French Chardonnay) and Valpolicella (red Italian, somewhat like Merlot). But now, I fear I've lost many of my taste buds so an Almaden box chardonnay or a Lindeman's or Yellow Tail in the bottle is pleasing enough.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Di should be in this thread soon. She likes a good whine. :p
You bet I do, and a nice glass of "Wine" to go with it!! I love wine tastings, we have many great vineyards here in the Willamette Valley- luckily DH isn't a wine drinker so I have a built in DD:)

·
Registered
8,070 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

Well, we went to the wine shop last night and had a great time. They had a different wine tasting last night - great values under $20. I really liked the Cannonball Cabernet - $14 bottle!

We did get 3 bottles from the sale - Pete is a big Bordeau fan and couldn't pass up the chance to get some of these bottles for 30% off. We got a Chateau Leoville Barton 2000, and Chateau La Conseillante Bordeau Pomerol 2000 and a Chateau Latour 1999. A chunk of change, but they were clearing out their stock of high end wines and we won't see those prices...or some of those bottles again.

SOME GUY called in and ordered 38 bottles of wine including ALL the Petrus and the Chateau Margaux. This guy must have dropped 25 grand easy!! :eek:

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I haven't had wine in years. The thought of it makes my stomach turn.

Why am I in this thread then? LOL

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
That sounds like fun! Su and I went wine tasting in Traverse City (MI) and had a great time. I tried my hardest to find a red I like and I just couldn't. I am white girl all the way. My current favorite is Pino Grigio. We have a place in town called The Howell Winery and I have never been there. My sister and I tried to go once and they were not open on Saturday night.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That sounds like fun! Su and I went wine tasting in Traverse City (MI) and had a great time. I tried my hardest to find a red I like and I just couldn't. I am white girl all the way. My current favorite is Pino Grigio. We have a place in town called The Howell Winery and I have never been there. My sister and I tried to go once and they were not open on Saturday night.

I'm the exact opposite. I'm a red girl all the way. It has taken Pete over a year to help me find whites that I will drink. Apparently - the drier the better. And I prefer them to not touch wood - I'd rather them casked in metal. I have found several that I like now. :D

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I'm the exact opposite. I'm a red girl all the way. It has taken Pete over a year to help me find whites that I will drink. Apparently - the drier the better. And I prefer them to not touch wood - I'd rather them casked in metal. I have found several that I like now. :D
I am a red girl too! Your wine shop sounds so great. My Dad and I go wine shopping together and pick out the same wines so we can compare notes :) We actually went to Bevmo last night for the first time, which is supposed to be a great value place for a large selection on wine, but I wasn't too impressed. They didn't have many of my personal favorites. We did pick up several bottles of reds though, and the one I opened last night is actually really good! It is called Archetype, and it is a Shiraz from the Barossa Valley in SE Australia.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts