Just Labradors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been using this yet? What do you think? We are thinking about upgrading our work computers and the newer computers come with it but you can downgrade if you want to. I don't know anyone personally who's used it though.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Absolutely DESPISE it! Relearning where all the functions are, that's one thing and just an annoying learning curve. But it takes FOREVER to load anything and has TERRIBLE "hangup" issues.

Hate it, hate it, hate it!

I think I got my point across here. Didn't I?

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
My mom ordered a new laptop w/ Windows 7 on it and ended up sending it back! We couldn't get the driver for our printer installed and found out there wasn't one available for it. Also, like Nance said the learning curve was annoying and loading things was a pain in the butt!

I love Vista, and it didn't take me long to get used to it at all. 7 was a whoooole new bag of issues!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Love it.

DH has been using it for quite awhile now on his computer. And he put it on mine back in Oct or Nov.. I love it. It's zippy. Easy to use. Good times.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Not looking fwd to answering this one myself...DH just built me a new computer and it has W7 on it. I have zero patience for the loading thing, so hopefully I will have a diff experience...as for the learning curve for functions...I am still trying to figure out what I have, so everyday is an adventure anyway. :eek:

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Relative to Paddysmom's comment on Office 7: I don't know where MS left their brains wihen they changed the way themenu work in Office 7. Obviously the huge user base was not a consideration.

I now have Windows 7 installed on three computers at home. It is, in my opinion, probably the best OS MS has released in 20 years. Vista was a mistake, and the real reason that Windows was released so soon afterward.

AbbeyandMolly, I do not know what you were trying to run Windows 7 on. It loads in half the time or less than XP or Vista. Those are measured times on my machines.

Regarding drivers for older hardware. The manufacturers of the hardware have been working on updating their drivers. HP, with thousands of legacy printers out there, is almost complete in updated all of the drivers for their legacy machines. Only very old ones are left without drivers.

There are issues with some software. Some software will not run on the 64 but operating system. Some vendors are offerring free patches, others are requiring upgrade purchases.

Back to Win7, I believe that MS has a good one here. They and included a lot of neat tools for those interested in using them. The system is stable, and quick. Youdo want to have a machine with as much RAM memory as it will accept and you can afford.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Ed, I'm sure given more then 3 weeks I probably would have learned to love 7 just like I do vista. I loved the snap feature where you can put windows together and view them at the same time, very helpful for school work!

The driver thing was a pain in the butt, and Lexmark (our printer manufacturer) didn't seem very willing to help us.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I've been using it since October and I don't have any complaints. I never really had any troubles with Vista, but I didn't switch right away so I think I missed all the glitches. I will say the only difference is that 7 is much much much faster. I haven't timed it like Ed, but I wouldn't be surprised if the boot time was half that of Vista.

The only negative was I had to buy a new printer, but honestly I needed to. My ancient HP was just your basic printer and I needed one of the scanner/copier combo ones.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
I have it.
I am used to XP and Vista and W7 is taking time to learn. I like the faster down load, but hate trying to work it all out. I thought XP was more user friendly.

As Ed says. It does have a lot more on, but stuff many of us basic computer users don't use.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
My new travel laptop has 7, I've not used it a ton, but it seems fine for what I do with it. ie. Sit in hotels and facebook, and read the forum.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I have it on my new laptop and it seems fine. I have Vista on my desktop & the only problem I have with it is for photo editing & resizing. Vista is not user friendly for pictures. The Power Toys I had for XP was great. It is nnot compatable with Vista. I miss XP. :(

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I love XP, hate Vista, was not pleased with Windows 7 but only had it for a week on my work laptop before we swicthed and I got the one with Vista.

Nance - I absolutely DESPISE Office 2007!!! :mad: It is horrible, you can't even scroll down a **** spreadsheet without it hanging up! Of course, Microsoft promises to 'fix' all the problems in Office 2010 - but you have to buy the **** thing all over again! :eek:

Microsoft totally SUCKS as far as I am concerned. Get one GOOD operating system that runs everything as it should be run, and one GOOD Office program that works like Word Perfect did, and then leave it alone!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone :) This is a new system it will have 4g ram and all the works so it should run fine. It's not my machine yet but we'll have to replace them all here soon so it's good to know what to expect. I agree with Nancy on the Office 07 though I hate the thing it's SO SLOW loading and opening files.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.