Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with the area?

Is it a safe city? Crappy city?

We leave on Saturday for our vacation and I have yet to make hotel arrangements. I'd like to nail those down today.

Wilmington is 30 minutes from my friends house. I can't seem to find anything closer to her that has suites available and is priced right for us. Boo Hiss.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Meh. It's like any other big city. Relatively safe, I'm guessing. But nothing really of any interest to see/do.

Venture up a little further north (into Kennett Square, PA, or anywhere, really, in southern Chester County), and things are much more picturesque. Kennett Square has Longwood Gardens, which are gorgeous. ChesCo has Brandywine Battlefield and sites associated w/artist Andrew Wyeth. You are likely to find a really charming B&B there.....

All Google-able. And all much nicer than Wilmington without being that much further away.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan. I've been looking at hotels in all of those areas, but nothing within our price range with a suite. Since we are staying 7 nights, I don't want to fork over $200 a night for a hotel.

I should have had this all sorted out long before now. Grr.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I'm in Philadelphia, and personally I would rather stay here than Wilmington :) Where is your friend located? I can help look for some places that might be okay. I'm with Dan, I would try to find a small B&B that might have "last minute rates" in Delaware Co. Chester Co., etc. If nothing else works Wilmington is an okay city - they have done a lot of work to make their waterfront area nicer!

Next year you should come down when we're on vacation for a week - you could stay at our 2 br/1 bth place for free (just water the lawn and bring in the mail!) :)

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She lives in Avondale, Pa. Which really doesn't seem to have any hotels.

And I don't know that a B&B with our kids would be a good idea! LOL.

I'm still searching.

From what I can figure by looking at maps, Philly is further away from Avondale than Wilmington. As long as we are not going to get mugged going from our car to the hotel, I'm ok with that. We really only plan on spending our time sleeping there. Which is why cheaper is better. ;)

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
She lives in Avondale, Pa. Which really doesn't seem to have any hotels.

And I don't know that a B&B with our kids would be a good idea! LOL.

I'm still searching.

From what I can figure by looking at maps, Philly is further away from Avondale than Wilmington. As long as we are not going to get mugged going from our car to the hotel, I'm ok with that. We really only plan on spending our time sleeping there. Which is why cheaper is better. ;)
I forgot about the kids :eek: So yeah maybe not a B&B lol!

You might look at West Chester, PA too for cheaper hotels. It's a college town, so there are tons of hotels around - or King of Prussia, PA lots of hotels there too. West Chester is probably around a half hour from Avondale, KOP is a bit longer, but there is an *awesome* mall ;) .

Here's a kayak search for West Chester:
http://www.kayak.com/r/J2jgjp

But if all you're doing is sleeping there and Wilmington is cheaper than West Chester I'm sure you'd be fine there too :)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
If you come all the way up to KofP, lemme know. You'll be zipping up and down RT202, and I work w/in a stone's throw. We could maybe meet for lunch........

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I'm in Wilmington!

Not terribly exciting unless you are interested in visiting Hagley, where Dupont started. Winterthur and Longwood Gardens are nearby but can be reached from other places already mentioned.

It's not a bad place, like all others, depends on where you stay. The waterfront is nice and about a mile long...... there are some outlets there and restaurants. There is also the Blue Rocks - Kansas City (last time I paid attention) minors baseball - team.

There are a couple of dog parks, one at Pike Creek and one in Tallyville and one at Lums Pond. Lums Pond is about 45 minutes from Wilmington.

On weekends the Wilmington Railroad runs a couple of times a day, it is an steam train and run by volunteers.

All I can think of right now...

There are a couple of state parks...... all in all nothing too exciting.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Christiania Hilton...nice and great food...at least is used to be. I used to stay there when I worked for DuPont. And it's near the mall. :)

Wilmington is pretty much a city for companies to set up businesses for tax purposes. The countryside towards PA is very pretty; out in the Brandywine area.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
My dad used to travel to Wilmington for work all the time! There's not much to do, but it's a nice city, and I'm sure you would be safe.

Come visit me in Baltimore! We're about an hour'ish from Avondale. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts