Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The *#@ just ate a piece about 2 inches long (teal ) He would NOT drop/leave it and the *#@ growled at me when I attempted to take it out of his mouth! :mad: One glup and it was gone! Gee after our great beach day on saturday I thought the Good Dog was here! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Oh boy, welcome to the Lab puppy! LOL Sorry he was a brat, but you can expect a lot more of this until he learns a solid 'leave it.'

The best way to teach it is to give him something better than what he has to leave. Show him one treat - a piece of kibble, say. Tell him 'leave it,' and stop him with a loud AHH! LEAVE IT! if he reaches towards it. Then close your hand and take the kibble away, but give him something better with the other hand (piece of cheese, chicken, hot dog - has to be really good).

Do this over and over, with different things, but never let him have what he was told to leave, and always give him a high-value treat when he leaves it. Once he is solid on the leave it with treats, start backing down on the rewards, say skip every third time, then every second time, then only reward once in a while, just to keep him wondering.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Side walk chalk should be non toxic, as it is for kids. So it most likely will not hurt him. May color his poop or make his tummy upset.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jackie! I have been trying to teach it but...:( I will try your method. My other lab (koko) always seemed to leave it when told to I don't remember teaching her. We were in the yard and I had NO Treats...Maybe that's why he took the chalk! LOL

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
First thing I learned with Ender as a puppy... ALWAYS HAVE TREATS... I think I walked around for months and months with a little baggie with treats in it in all my coats/pants pockets.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
If it's real chalk, all it will do is add a bit of calcium to his diet and do no harm. Kids' chalk is non-toxic even if it's colored or has anything else besides calcium carbonate in it, so regardless, he should be fine. Just keep an eye out for it on the way out.

Leave-it is probably the single-most important command I've taught my dogs. Good luck.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
First thing I learned with Ender as a puppy... ALWAYS HAVE TREATS... I think I walked around for months and months with a little baggie with treats in it in all my coats/pants pockets.
Me too. Bauer is 18 months old, and although I don't carry treats with me anymore . . . my hubby and kids still accuse me of it. Whenever he follows me around or does what I tell him. My kids always say, "Its just because you have treats in your pocket."

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Wow. I never have had to trade a treat for a thing in their mouths. I just take it. Never been growled at.

Mine would be doing some major crate time for growling at me.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Wow. I never have had to trade a treat for a thing in their mouths. I just take it. Never been growled at.

Mine would be doing some major crate time for growling at me.
Same here. To me, food treats are rewards or extras. Not bribes. But that's just me and my dogs.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a first for me! Ziggy growling at me? Never! Boy I hope that chalk was worth it! He has been attempting to make up ever since..Keeps putting his stuffed lion (normally won't let it out of his crate, sleeps with it) in my lap and laying on my feet (AWW cute boy! But BAD!) I guess when he gets home from the park with DH and Son #1 I will be done being angry! ;)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I still carry treats in my pocket, as I try to take advantage of any training opportunity, wherever I am. I am learning though that the dehydrated fish in a warm pocket by the end of the day....makes me smell like a dead fish. I keep wondering where the god awful smell is coming from!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I still carry treats sometimes just to train too. But even when I don't have anything in my pockets, all I have to do is stick my hand ina pocket and Libby starts sniffing around trying to see what I have. I have to keep telling her "all gone" till she stops.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Me too. Bauer is 18 months old, and although I don't carry treats with me anymore . . . my hubby and kids still accuse me of it. Whenever he follows me around or does what I tell him. My kids always say, "Its just because you have treats in your pocket."
Ditto!

At 2.5 years, I still have treats in my pocket when going somewhere that I know I need control and the distractions are going to be a real temptation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts