Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a Widga-pa? That's what 21 month old Morgan calls our girl Wigeon. It's very funny. She is such a great dog with children - she is patient and obedient. Anyway I have decided to breed her this fall and we are excited. She's way out of coat but she was helping lay bark mulch with us in the front yard and I snapped these photos of her waiting for some Goldfish crackers ;). I love having dogs that won't go anywhere - she will just lie in the sun in the front yard with her mother watching the world go by. I can also walk her off leash anywhere.

·
Registered
692 Posts
She looks very amazing considering she is 'just' your daughter's pet Sharon. :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I can't wait to see what her babies look like! :D Very nice photos- love that free-stack!

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
I've always like Widgeon. Do you know who you're going to breed her to?

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
She looks great, Sharon.
WigWag said:
Do you know who you're going to breed her to?
Clark:
Oooh...they will make BEAUTIFUL babies together. ;D I may be a little biased though. ;)

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
That will be a very nice breeding, I think. It will be neat to see what their heads will be like. My friend has a Clark daughter that has a head very similar to Wigeon's. He certainly has some beautiful babies out there! :) I'll bet those puppies will be a tough lot to choose from!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure if anyone cares but I thought I would share a little of my decision making. I like a lot about Wigeon but naturally she has flaws and I am very critical. Her pros are that she has a very pretty head, short back, decent topline and tailset, balanced, sound, and most of all her temperament is great - silly, fun, patient, kind, and loves to work. Okay her cons are that she need more coat (what she has is okay - coarse down the back and a double layer but not enough for me), more forechest, more shoulder layback, a tad more bone, and a tad more rear angulation.

At Potomac I was checking out a lot of stud dogs. I chose Clark because consistently my eye was drawn to certain dogs that turned out to be either Clark get or grandget. He's consistent in throwing substance, bone, pretty heads, and good fronts. My fingers are crossed that I get enough coat - hopefully some of Clint will come through on that and that his rear will also come through. Also this will be a linebreeding on Arnold since he is an Arnold son and Wigeon is an Arnold great granddaughter. So I'm not looking to produce a dog JUST like Clark but hope to get in traits I know he throws to improve on what I already see.

A few dogs from one particular line were gorgeous to me however I didn't like the heads - over and over I would see such great bodies, coats, shoulders, but the heads were not their fortune. I saw a few young dogs that I really liked but it's tough because there were no puppies to see if they will produce what I want to improve upon and some had pedigrees I didn't trust due to issues that I don't care to see if they rear their ugly head.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Very interesting, Sharon! :) I, for one, have a very steep learning curve right now. I find it very interesting when people share their reasons for doing breedings, and especially what they're looking to improve on. It helps with the "whole picture" of the dog biz, I think. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was at the Potomac too and as you know I am really really new to the dog show world. I do know one thing though, as I walked around looking at all the amazing dogs there. The dogs that really caught my eye were also Clark get or grand-get ;). I also have a Clark grand-get, (that would be Ruger). There just seems to be something that really pops out at you when you see Clark's offspring. He definately produces nice puppies. I hope you will find what you are looking for in that breeding. :) :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts