Just Labradors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apollo grows and barks, bares his teeth and even puts his hackles up whenever he sees Sam's cousin, Zac. Apollo, Sam, and the ferrets are staying at Sam's aunt and uncles house (where his cousin, Zac, lives) We have NO idea why apollo growls at Zac like this. I'm kinda upset. We are lucky to have them hosting apollo in their home, I don't want apollo's behavior to make them say "he can't stay here anymore". I don't think that they would say that, but still, I'm embarressed that apollo isn't being a better houseguest. Any ideas why he's acting like this? He's NEVER behaved like this before. We are baffled. Zac is a great kid. No different then anyone else. He's calm, quiet, and loves dogs. Why on earth does apollo act like that around him? Its nuts. He acts like a totally different dog! I see no reason for him to NOT like zac. Zac is a teenage boy. He doesn't wear any colonge or anything. He doesn't wear hats or act crazy, agressive, or loud. Why on earth is apollo doing this? I'm kind of upset. Any ideas? TIA.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hard to say for sure..... maybe Zac inadvertently caught Apollo off guard and scared him....... after all, Apollo is in a new situation, a new home, new people, YOU are not there all the time... he's probably a bit confused. His life as he knew it has been turned upside down. I think you should have Apollo and Zac try to spend some quiet time together, getting to know each other......... have Zac sit and feed Apollo a few treats, from his hand. Make sure Zac sits down, so he isn't "looming" over Apollo...... take is slow and easy, and I think Apollo will come around.....

Melissa
;)

G

·
Does Apollo regularly see teenagers? Children? It sounds like fear aggression to me. He is fearful of this boy for some reason - who knows really - many dogs are afraid of toddlers and babies who have done nothing to them. It's hard to say how you should treat the situation without being there. If your dog is only growling and barking and gets over it then I would say have the boy feed him lots of treats and play with him, etc. If it's more serious then I wouldn't let him get bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts