Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My coworker Mike has a black and white Springer Spaniel, Max, that Duke absolutely despises. Going back two years when our first dog park opened and we met, those two dogs took an instant dislike to each other that still continues.
They hadn't met in over a year until last Wednesday at the opening of the new park. I arrived early with Duke and Freckles on their leashes and we spent a half hour before the park officially opened, greeting other people and their dogs, then Mike and Max arrived. As soon as Duke saw Max approaching from twenty feet away he started growling and pulling at the leash. Max was doing the same.
When the park opened we went separate ways and Duke played with every dog he met. Mike told me the next day that Max did the same with the dogs he met.
I can't understand why Duke so dislikes this one particular dog that has never caused him any harm.
It's baffling. There must have been a hundred dogs at that opening, ninety-nine Duke liked and one he didn't like. BTW, Freckles and Max get along just fine.
Anyone know why this might be?

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Don't know....I have the same problem w/Zoe. There is one dog on the beach she dislikes.

Also, one dog at daycare at whom she barks (but does not act aggressive; just barks).

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Lucy only has disliked one dog in her whole life..the foster I had here a couple of years ago.
I think she had a good reason to. She avoided him at all costs.
She had good reason to not like him..he turned out to have some big problems.

and I think some dogs, just like people, just don't like certain people..

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I'm sure there is one person you just cant stand....wouldn't suprise me if it was the same with dogs. you can't like everyone, yay know? probably the same way with pups

G

·
Take a look at the behavior, is the other dog a dominant type and your'se also ???

And guess what... i think you also dont like evry one you meet ;)

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
My doggie daycare peeps have said that dogs don't like every dog they meet, just the way we humans don't like every single person out there.

You've gotta wonder how dogs form their dislike for another, though. Does the spaniel's butt smell bad to Duke somehow? It IS baffling.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
There is a dog at class that really dislikes my dog. My dog has never met a dog she didn't like, so it's not a mutual thing. The other dog is a neutered male and the minute he sees my girl (even at a real distance) the body language is obvious. He doesn't growl or bark....he intently stares and then just attacks....even though I'm right there beside my dog. Both dogs are on leash, but unfortunately he has broken away from his owner 3 times now and gone after Dee. Each time he has been grabbed immediately so no harm done, but it's a little nerve racking when he's there....which isn't that often. He apparently doesn't like one or two of the other dogs (in different classes). It's strange. Last time it happened my SU grabbed him in mid lunge. He seems okay with "almost" all the dogs and okay with people, but very reactive with certain dogs. It's really hard to figure out what his problem is. It's not a male/male thing because two of the three dogs I've seen him go for are females. The male he doesn't like is super easy going and neutered.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Is it possible that when your friend and his Springer arrived that Duke and the Springer "locked eyes"? I wonder if each took an immediate dislike to each other because of some sort of perceived dominance??

Otherwise, I do have to agree with the above posters. In the dogworld, like the human-world, there are probably those who just can't get along.

Great question!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I've had similar encounters with Moose and it is always with another male. It is has only happened a few times. One was with a Vazila (sp??) and I'm not sure who went first, but they greeted face to face and immediately went into a domanint stance. I knew immediately to pull Moose back as the other dog bared his teeth.

The other dog is a golden, but I don't think anything would really happen but he greets Moose with a growl every time and that just puts Moose on edge, so we just don't greet when we see each other.

I agree with others - I'm sure it is similar to how you feel when you meet someone that puts you on edge or makes you feel uncomfortable.

Glad you were both able to visit the park at the same time and manage to avoid each other. I would have been worrying the whole time about them running into each other.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts