Just Labradors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter came to Canada??

She has both her US and Canadian citizenship, but was born in the US. Her school called and left a message asking for the date that she came to Canada. I just called back, but the woman was out to lunch. I just find it odd that the school board wants that info. My husband told me not to tell them, it wasn't their business.

·
Registered
578 Posts
To make sure she was a Canadian citizen when you enrolled her? I think our (NJ) school boards might check residency as well when the kids enroll in a town's school system.

·
Registered
578 Posts
TangerineFizz said:
I'm going with ask why they need to know. Frankly, it's none of their business.
I don't mean any disrespect, but what's the big deal with just telling them? Why the "none of their business"? Just curious.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
regarese said:
TangerineFizz said:
I don't mean any disrespect, but what's the big deal with just telling them? Why the "none of their business"? Just curious.
Because right now we're having a lot of issues with respect to citizenship. Children of Canadians born outside of the country are being shafted and finding out they aren't citizens. Some beurocrats are having a field day with an Act passed in 1947, that is deemed antiquated. So, I too would be a bit cautious answering the question. If it were me, I'd find out exactly what the status of my children's citizenship is before answering the question.

·
Registered
578 Posts
kaisdad said:
regarese said:
TangerineFizz said:
Because right now we're having a lot of issues with respect to citizenship. Children of Canadians born outside of the country are being shafted and finding out they aren't citizens. Some beurocrats are having a field day with an Act passed in 1947, that is deemed antiquated. So, I too would be a bit cautious answering the question. If it were me, I'd find out exactly what the status of my children's citizenship is before answering the question.
:eek: oooooooooooooo. Alrighty then-I see the reason for concern then. Thanks :)

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Apparently the Minstery of Education needed to know for their records?? Still unsure of why exactly they need to know that. She just said that when she fills in her birthplace it asks for date of entry. I guess it is to ensure that she was in fact a citizen throughout her school years? If she wasn't a citizen, they may have been able to charge us for her schooling.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Amy find out specifically why M of Ed needs to know and under what specific act or policy - if they can't tell you the specifics ask them to find out from Education and let you know. PM with the info and I'll check it out for you I have some contacts in the ministry (yes I work for the Ontario Gov't) It could be the charge back but if it can be shown that she was entitled they may not be able to do it - same as with Health care - if you can't present your health card you may get a bill but if you can sho wyou were entitled to be covered they cover it - it just takes a while.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
As an FYI in NJ they can only check they are a resident of the district but not their immigration status you do not have to be a legal citizen just live in the district....it is illegal per the US Supreme court to check immigration status when enrolling a child in school. What I find so funny is in order to enroll a US student in our school here in Phoenix the parents must provide a water bill, mortgage statement, rent receipt showing they reside in the district but a child who has no school records the parents can just appear and say yes we live here and the school cannot question it.

Just ask me how many illegal immigrant children I am paying to send to school in AZ. Of course they don't speak English so they cannot pass the test for No Child Left Behind which means we have "failing" schools because some of the inner city schools see a 50% turn over rate in students every 3 years....I don't mind paying for their schooling but it burns my tush that the federal government who cannot control the borders punishes the local districts because they cannot teach these students English quickly enough to get them to pass their 3rd grade proficiency test which must be given in English.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
The law in New York State is similar. Every child is entitled to a free education from the public school system, legally here or not. Parents must show a birth certificate (not for residency purposes), proof of a New York address and proof of vaccinations, and that's it!

We have many, many illegal students in our school system. Better they be in school than on the streets, although it's costing our state/citizens a fortune to educate them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts