Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lab Chat used to be very active. So, too, Lab Health & Nutrition as well as Training Tips & Puppy Advice

I just (about 12:15 PM at GMT -5) checked people on those (and this) board.

I was the only one viewing LH & N and TT & PA.

2 others were viewing LC.

52 were viewing Odds & Ends.

How come?

Are people interested in those topics posting them here?

Is the JL community becoming more a social community and using O&E for that purpose?

Other?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Dontcha know, we all live for drama. That's what I've been told anyway. :rolleyes:
:D

I noticed that, too, Bob. I think maybe it's just because we lost a lot of members during the latest changeover.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Bob,

I think the activity has centered in O&E since the switch in software. Not sure why, and don't particularly like it. I think this is where the bitching about the trouble was most strongly centered and where the word got spread about the solution. Then many just fell into this single forum for everything.

I certainly would support we get the dog stuff back into the dog forums and somewhat organized as they have been set up. It really helps newcomers trying to find information and sign up. Right now finding everything here in O & E could discourage a newcomer with dog issues when they find politics, movies, tv, and everything else dispersed within it.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
O&E is now the catchall. Where we used to have different slots for conversation (Movies/Books, Recipe, Just Losers), it's all here in one big glamish.

Daniel has said that he'll get to more compartments as his time allows. But until then, we're all painting on the same canvas.

As to the general population around here, yes, it's down. We seem to lose more people every week.

If I'm the last one, do I have to turn the lights out?

·
Registered
10,257 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Try using a whole-grain bun. And maybe a dab o' Gulden's. It's all about the accoutrements.
OMG my co-workers must think I'm nuts when I burst out laughing hysterically like this! :D

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I've always been more active in O&E. As Tucker has aged, I haven't had as many questions about his care. Also, I have a group of people I keep in touch with that I've known since before Tucker even came into our lives that I trust with any sort of lab related question. So yeah, I'm usually just here. And every now and again, I'll share pictures of Tuck here or ask a question about something regarding him. I'd feel weird asking it anywhere else on this particular site, since I don't frequent any of the other boards.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
As Tucker has aged, I haven't had as many questions about his care.
Same with me. I spent most of Corby's first year lurking in Lab Chat & the puppy & nutrition forums to see how others handled various issues that I faced. Now, I check out Lab Chat to look at photos, but I don't post there. I'm not on that much anyway - it's spring! I spend as little time as possible indoors. :)

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
It still really just seems like a lot of people didn't make the change over to the new forum. Even you, Bob, started posting in O&E, whereas it seemed like you hardly ever did before, so we don't see as much of you in LC. Maybe we all need to go over the introduction section and welcome all the newbies with open arms, and then POST when they start a thread.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
At the time of posting this, there's 658 members in the JL group on F/B. Maybe people think that's where most of the action is? Not all of those people are members on here. I know not all people have the same ID on both sites - hell I don't :rolleyes: but you'd think some of those non JL members would find their way over here? :confused:

Maybe F/B would be a good place to start a recruitment drive. :)

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I think it's probably more than one reason. Personally, I only really look at Lab Chat and O&E. Maybe the recipe forum on occasion. If I were picking, I'd only have those two topics and let everything be one or the other. I think it would make things more active and expose people to different types of topics.

I think the main reasons are:

Competition - other boards and facebook, etc are cutting into people's time here

Bust-ups - last few rounds of drama has resulted in folks going elsewhere or not doing the online thing.

Board changes - whenever we have issues and to back-up boards, and change, we lose some folks.

Sub-forum - Here its a circular issue. I think it is getting slow there as we lose some of the active posters, the activity goes down, then people are reluctant to post in a slow moving sub-forum or keep checking it. Honestly if I have a dog health issue, I debate whether to post it in Chat or Health. If it goes in Chat, I usually have more replies and more people see it.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I think we lost members and people are now posting over at Woody's board.
blushes!! I've been spending more time there than I used to. I also spend more time at facebook. I really don't have much to post about my own dogs in L/C but I do try to read and answer posts from others.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
there's 658 members in the JL group on F/B.
Really?! Members of our old board? Holy crap that's alot!!!!!!!!!
I can't get on FB anymore....

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh yea, I just saw that. I thought the old board was closed closed, no posting allowed. *shrugs*

1 - 20 of 22 Posts