Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
because it possibly saved my life last night.

I was riding Toby when he bolted. I came off the left side of him into the rubbery wife fence of the pasture. When I landed, I felt one of his hooves clip the top of my head.

Luckily I didn't hit the wood fence of the round pen, otherwise I'd also have a few broken ribs. My whole left side is bruised.

I had my phone strapped to my left ankle and have a blackberry shaped bruise there.

My underwire bra attacked me under my left arm and I have some interesting scrapes and bruises from it.

I'm sure I have a concussion since I dealt with headaches off and on all night.

Moral of the story, wear a helmet if you ride. You never know when it might come in handy.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Sorry Toby decided to reject you. Sorry for your pain. But happy to read that you are okay and going to survive to ride another day. Helmet good, falling off bad!

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
scary, laura! glad you are ok with only some minor injuries. thank God you had on a helmet!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I am so glad you had the helmet on! The bruises, scrapes, and headaches will go away. Is Toby okay? Were you bareback, or saddled?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Holy crap!!
What do you do for a concussion? Don't you need to see a Dr. for that?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Saddled. Yes he and will have another round pen "Come to Jesus" meeting but not today. I can barely raise my arms and I can't move fast enough to keep him going in the pen once he gets tired. I did round pen him a bit after the dumpoff but the adrenaline has wore off and I'm feeling my injuries.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Glad you're ok and were wearing your helmet. Keep an eye on those headaches...you may want to see a dr. anyways.

And watch out for the attacking underwire...them critters are vicious! ;)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Saddled. Yes he and will have another round pen "Come to Jesus" meeting but not today. I can barely raise my arms and I can't move fast enough to keep him going in the pen once he gets tired. I did round pen him a bit after the dumpoff but the adrenaline has wore off and I'm feeling my injuries.
I'm thinking tomorrow you will be even more stiff and sore. :( The second day (not the next day) after a trauma is usually the worst, then you start feeling better. Lots of Aleve, aspirin, or whatever you can take for the inflammation. A couple of beers or drinks wouldn't hurt, either! ;)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
OUCH! I'm glad you're okay. Have you checked your helmet for cracks?

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Good job on the helmet, but my GOD the rest of you took a pounding!
You round-penned him right afterward?!? :eek: You are AWESOME!

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Wow, glad you were wearing the helmet! When I first started riding (decades ago) helmets were not "mandatory" and certainly not well constructed. When I started to ride seriously a bit later I invested in a good helmet and like you had a close call with the hooves clipping my head after the horse spooked.

I hope you get better soon!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts