Just Labradors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love that cinch but I'm afraid to wash it though its mostly fleece and nylon. I worry about the two buckles.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I always washed mine, worked fine.

Take the garden hose and a slicker brush. Hang the cinch up and hose it good. You don't even need soap. Use the slicker as you hose it off to loosen the hair and stuff. Rinse top to bottom and let dry, then once it's dried fluff with the slicker again.

Lucy

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
My sister's was like that but it was natural cream-colored, and her horse was albino. Didn't show the hair. ;)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I thought about getting a cream colored one after I started seeing all the hair on the green one. lol Oh well.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
The barn I worked at used those kind (girths though) for english as well. I always washed them (along with my blankets). You can wrap rags around the buckles and secure them with rubber bands if you're worried about banging :) Then I hung them out to dry in the sun.

I will say though, that I always got leather for myself because I much preferred just wiping it down with a damp sponge + saddle soap daily to having one more thing to wash and dry ;) Neoprene would be the same way I would imagine!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a neoprene today and ordered a mohair. I did de-hair this one pretty well but he does sweat a lot under it.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I always wondered if certain girths were "hotter" for horses to wear in warm weather than others (leather v. fleece v. neoprene) - hope you like the new ones!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll let you know about the different type cinches in the summer. I just worry about chafing in the summer so we'll see.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I think I've seen the most chafing with neoprene, but that was with horses that were training hard in the summer - working to a lather regularly, etc.

My favorite is leather, but it all really depends on what works best for your horse.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've never seen a leather western cinch. Of course, I live in BFE when it comes to horse stuff which is why I have to buy most things online.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts