Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am sure there are some out there but every weekend at the dog park I like to spend some time observing the small dog area. I can't tell you how many times one of those tiny breeds has come charging up barking and snarling through the fence at Duke and Freckles. Just last weekend I observed a family bring a white toy poodle into the area and they sat on one of the benches with the dog at their feet. Immediately other dogs tried to come over to greet the new comer but that poodle would aggressively charge at them, snarling and barking, for a few yards then trot back to sit under the bench. Each time the family would roar with laughter at the actions of their dog.
Just a few minutes later I heard a distressed yelping coming from that area and sure enough a bigger dog had responded in kind to the aggression of the poodle and had him down on the ground, requiring rescue by the family while the larger dog was scooped up by his owner.
I see no evidence of obedience training in any of those small dogs. All I see is a bunch of tiny alfa dogs running amok trying to dominate every other dog and totally ignoring their owners. They are a danger to themselves and those owners don't seem to realize it.
I, for one, do not see any "cuteness" in that behavior.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I agree, too.
And it so happens that smaller pets show more aggression than larger pets, especially towards other dogs, and yet owners don't do anything to diminish or stop it.

Come to think of it, all the dogs in our puppy-kindergarten and obedience classes are larger breeds.

hhhmmmmmm.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I'm with you, John. Maybe it's because the owners of the small dogs who don't train them think it's amusing to watch a little dog act tough? And they don't understand that the behavior will probably get the dog in trouble one day, they just see the comedy of a little puffball acting ferocious.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
This is one of my many milllions of pet peeves.

We ALWAYS run into problems with small dogs. This morning I was walking the dogs (Murph and Joker - on one of our separate walks) through the woods with this nice old guy we see sometimes. He has a Deerhound and a Springer, both females. We had just parted ways when out from another trail pops a little Papillion/Collie mix looking dog, about the size of a small Sheltie. This dog was staring at my boys head on -- tail up, hackles up. Owner of "Molly" calls out "Look's like World War Three is about to begin". I said "Excuse me?". "Molly", he says, "Doesn't like other dogs". And sure enough on that note, sweet Molly lunges at my boys, fangs baring, creating a big scene. ::) Luckily my boys are lovers not fighters...if I had Trick or Maisy with me they would have fought back.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
have ya ever had a little dog. Trust me, when they are so small and tiny and not accustomed to a tiny dog you tend to over spoil them. I know I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was it wrong. YES!

I know I will never make that mistake again if I get a small toy dog but it is so easy to let your normal dog rules get away from you. My Kramer is a great dog but he has some issues that I am certain are due to his lack of socialization and my coddling him.

Now I would not tollerate aggression toward another dog and think it is okay no matter what the size. That is a OWNER issue not one to blame the dog for. Little dogs do have a tendancey to be full of themself and it can be a frightening experience to have a giant dog run up on them and poke its big nose in its behind.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I think some people prefer smaller breeds because they believe they are easier to deal with,which translates to doing less. An out of control 10 lb dog is less harmful/destructive than a 100 lb dog. My Aunt has Shih Tzu's that are wonderfully behaved and trained. She also has had well behaved large breeds.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
you are right. out of control, aggressive behavior is definately not cute in any breed. i think a lot of those small dogs are not socialized properly and some of the aggressive behavior may be out of fear or like you said, their owners are encouraging the bad behavior knowingly or unknowingly.

i will admit that penny has a bit of a macho attitude at times, but since we have gotten to know her, and the labs are also now familiar with her bluff, we don't see her occasional dive acts as a problem. if penny ever acted this way towards another dog, i would remove penny from that environment.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Ugh! This is one of my biggest pet peeves. What you described with the poodle, and the owners roaring with laughter...OH MAN! That just makes me want to walk over to someone and shake them! :mad:

Same thing happened at a place we took Angus to "doggie social hour." They were *supposed* to have the little dogs and the big dogs split up, but the owner allowed this little terrier to be in with the big dogs "because she has a big dog attitude." WTH? ???

This dog made it her business to terrorize every dog there. Vicious. Baring teeth, charging other dogs. Angus was just learning about being around other dogs, so this did not go over well with me at all. But what was even more unbelievable was that the owners were so entertained and amused by her behavior. They even seemed somewhat proud of it. ??? WHY in the world would you think that was cute? It is not cute, it's obnoxious as HELL!

Ooo, sorry! Touched a nerve! :D I'm OK now. :D

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
luke from georgia said:
if penny ever acted this way towards another dog, i would remove penny from that environment.
Exactly and that is just what I do. That is what anyone responsible would do.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
labs4life said:
I think some people prefer smaller breeds because they believe they are easier to deal with,which translates to doing less. An out of control 10 lb dog is less harmful/destructive than a 100 lb dog. My Aunt has Shih Tzu's that are wonderfully behaved and trained. She also has had well behaved large breeds.
Kudos to your aunt !! And I totally agree with your first sentence.

My sister in law has two small dogs and a huge yard. When we had a family get together there I asked my husband if we could take Rocket, who would have loved it. He said -- no, her dogs wouldn't along with him. I asked why not -he said that she likes her dogs to be "into her" and that she keeps them away from other animals.

I'm not knocking her, but I've come to learn from her example that that's a sure-fire way of making a dog mean, no matter how small and cute.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
The little Yorkie who is staying with me won't even sit to go outside. I sit him, and he stands up. I sit him, and he stand up. JAT are dancing on their butts at the door, and the **** rat won't sit! *sigh*

G

·
I hear ya!

A couple of weeks ago I was at the dog park and a lady had a small terrier mix. I'll say it was 20 - 25 lbs. It kept growling and Sami was trying to run from it ~ although it was much faster and there was no way Sami could outrun it. The little dog got Sami on the neck and was literally attached to her ~ all while Sami was running. I called Sami to me and said to the lady "Ya know, I don't think my dog is enjoying this too much" and packed up to leave. She took the hint and moved to the (empty) little dog area. I really did see the dog's actions as aggressive (guess you had to be there) ... and I truly don't think the woman knew it. Found out later from someone else, that the little dog had chased off another owner & their dog doing the same thing.

We have a neighbor that has a Shiba Inu and a Pomeranian. They are always out in the front yard with the owner ~ not leashed. And when we walk down the sidewalk they came running up barking their little heads off. And then the owner will be behind them screaming at them about charging others. Well... hello ... they've done it at least 100 times now ... what makes you think today will be any different. What kills me is that she always acts surprised at their behavior! ::) And no, they don't have an electric fence -- they'll even come out into the street when we step out there to avoid them.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Having a Yorkie (he was DH's when we met) I agree it's easy to do but still not acceptable. With Smeagol he's not agressive like that and I would never allow it. He does get away with more than Mocha to some degree but I would never allow agrressivness. We also wouldn't take him to a dog park off leash because I know his recall stinks. I have been working with him and have made some progress but it's more difficult with him because he's so quick and not nearly as willing to please like our wonderful labs. He doesn't heal by any means but I can handle 8 lbs of dog pulling much better than 65lbs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Momma to J and A said:
JAT are dancing on their butts at the door, and the **** rat won't sit! *sigh*
LOL! What a succinct way of putting it.

My aunt has two little dogs that insist upon doing it their way all the time. Especially, the little yorkie who kept nipping at my one year old son's heel's and my Aunt (their owner) didn't stop them. I put a stop to that immediately. After a couple of firm touches to the dog and the noise "Shssst!" it happened no more.

I think people are afraid to discipline small dogs because they think they are more fragile and might hurt them.
Kudos to all you small dog owners who have well mannered small dogs. :)

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Had a similar thing happend to Sammi at the off leash park yesterday, some women with her poodle, thought it was funny that her poodle kept coming over to Sammi growling and snipping at her. Finally Sam had enough turned around and barked at the dog. The lady looked at me like I had the bad dog. I just looked at her and said " your lucky she put up with it as along as she did" "and all she did is bark". My dog wasnt the one with the bad manners ::)-I'm sure she doesnt get it, and unfortunately its not the dogs fault. My Dad's Su has 3 king charles spaniels and all of them are agressive to other dogs, again not there fault!! How frustrating

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
In our case, little dogs are just easier to ignore :-[ Elliott might be begging at the dinner table, but he's only 10 pounds, so no one notices him like they do Jake and Tucker, the 80 pounders drooling in our laps. Also, if Elliott is misbehaving we just pick him up - no need to heel, sit or anything just swoop and he disappears to another room.

Do I wish my Mom had taken him to some sort of obedience class? Yes. But am I glad out of her two dogs she chose to train the lab well and let the 10 lb dog be the ruffian? Heck yes! :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts